Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Rarest Car Options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The Copart thread got me thinking, so if you look through the options list (1955 | 1956) for the V-8's you will notice that a number of things that one might assume to be standard are in fact options.

Some examples are an manual transmission 55 and a 55 Custom without TL, both of which I've seen in person. Something like Clipper reverse lights seem ubiquitous, but from time to time a car will come up for sale without them. (Or even be missing one.) However, I've never seen, in person or for sale, a V8 without a radio, heater or oil filter. Likewise I've never seen a Clipper Deluxe or Super with factory A/C, though per the rosters, a small number were made, mostly in '56.

And though it was never factory, an honorable mention goes to the couple people who converted their senior Packards to a manual transmission.

What are some of the strangest optioned cars you've ran into over the years?

Posted on: 11/30 19:29
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Rarest Car Options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I recall a very nice mid-sixties Impala Chevrolet convertible... red, white leather, console, air, .... six cylinder engine.

Posted on: 11/30 20:24
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

39Rollson
See User information
How about the 1940 110 with factory a/c that was at Hershey this year

Posted on: 11/30 20:50
1954 Cavalier (export model)sold

1941 Clipper

1939 120 Rollson all weather cabriolet

George
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
I recall a very nice mid-sixties Impala Chevrolet convertible... red, white leather, console, air, .... six cylinder engine.

The original low and slow? 😂

Posted on: 12/1 5:53
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Two rareish options:

1) The peacock hood ornament/ antenna
2) The 51-54 rear windshield wiper.

I guess they are technically accessories.

Posted on: 12/1 11:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, factory A/C in a Carribean.

Posted on: 12/1 11:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
For Chevrolet, the body style and trim level were two options and the engine was another separate option. It was common to see Super Sport trim hardtops and convertibles with six-cylinders or 2-bbl 283"s and 409" engines in Biscayne 2-door post cars.

Similarly, Studebaker-Packard dealers would build anything the customer wanted. The senior cars with manual transmissions usually came about because the Twin Ultramatic had failed so many times the customer didn't want to deal with it any more. The late Steve Williams owned a Caribbean converted to manual transmission by the San Francisco dealership.

Those of us working with the 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk routinely come across cars with 374" and/or Caribbean 2x4-bbl conversions; the owners insist it was special ordered that way. The factory never built them that way, but the owners prefer to believe their own version.

There was one factory special order '56 Golden Hawk which has been documented. An owner ordered a solid gray exterior and a red leather interior. This was not a factory option, but they did have the seats done by an outside upholstery shop and put the notation on the production order.

jack vines

Posted on: 12/1 11:50
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Randy (Randy Berger) once explained to me the 1956 Twin Traction differential. Since I read so little about it, I suspect that this is also a rare option.

Posted on: 12/1 16:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Several years back there was a 1953 or 1954 long wheelbase sedan with manual transmission, standard brakes and steering. No radio or, as I recall, heater heater either. Probably bought new by a funeral home on a very tight budget!

Posted on: 12/1 18:00
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
1955 Clipper with leather interior. I think that is a rare options.

Posted on: 12/28 3:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved