Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
265 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 264

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

electrical wiring
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Would someone please help on this question. I'm working on a 1956 Executive 4 door[a U.S. car that was imported into Canada]. Also have a 56 Exec. that was originally sold here in Canada. The Canadian car uses Auto-lite electrics, while the U.S. car uses Delco. Main engine compartment wiring [harness to voltage regulator/generator, etc.]on the U.S. car has been chopped and spliced, and I would like to use the harness from the Canadian parts car to replace it. Wiring diagram is confusing- should I be following the upper diagram of v.r. [5680-88] since the car uses Delco electrics like the big Packards? [diagram on pg.65 of mechanics manual]. Perhaps someone would sketch a diagram of this main harness only, rather than everything else that the manual shows. Thanks, Clifford

Posted on: 12/5 19:42
 Top  Print   

Re: electrical wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The front-of-firewall wiring for the Delco vs. AL cars is essentially identical. The reason the generator/regulator wiring is different is because the AL cars (Clippers) used an "idiot light" whereas the Delco cars (Packard) used an ammeter. For an ammeter, all the current passing between the charging system and battery should go through it (you will note that all the loads are connected on the charging system side of the ammeter, aside from the starter and the accessories connected to it, which use both intermittent and large amounts of electricity, so that the ammeter accurately shows the battery charge or discharge rate). Whereas for the "idiot light" it only needs to monitor the generator voltage as the light lights when this voltage is too low. The light itself is powered through the instrument cluster fuse.

So you should use the wiring corresponding to what gauge you have on the dashboard. Obviously, the generator and regulator connections themselves should be made according to their labels and not their physical position.

Posted on: 12/5 20:35
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Executives which were based on Clipper Customs which typically used Autolite while Packard used Delco. Although many things were changed when "converting" the Clipper to a Packard for the Executive, the wiring wasn't one of them so likely the components have been swapped at some point. All Executives I've ever seen were Autolite from the factory.

Posted on: 12/5 21:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Autolite and Delco charging systems work the same way with the major physical difference being the regulator terminal locations and an additional hard ground wire between generator and regulator as shown on the Delco system. The Autolite drawing shows frame and sheetmetal ground instead of the wire but either will work.

Have not heard of any electrical differences on export models so unless someone has modified something besides cutting wires I suspect the US and Canada car looms are essentially identical with maybe the extra ground wire if it was a factory Delco system. As a curiosity, have you verified the engines are original to the cars or could the engine with Delco electrics have come from another model?

The Executive was a hurried model made in an effort to quickly offer a lower price Packard. It was built on the Clipper Custom 5660 chassis but with Packard style trim and styling cues. The Custom ended production on one day and the Executive started the next so electrical should be identical to the Clipper Custom with the idiot light. As HPH said, if your car has the idiot light the dotted line Clipper and Autolite wiring is what you need to follow making sure to place the wires on the appropriate Delco terminals.

Posted on: 12/5 21:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Also, I forgot in my earlier comment that each manufacturer may have made aftermarket replacements for the other's devices.

Posted on: 12/5 21:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
I don't know how to verify whether or not my Packards have their original engines. I believe the Canadian car does, but no idea on the U.S. car- it has had lots of wire chopping and splicing to be sure. Do I need to have a build sheet to check, and where do I obtain one? On the back of the intake there is a number stamped- 440892- same on both engines. The Canadian car [SN# 5672A 2363] has C66 on a smaller stamping, while the U.S. car [SN# 5672A 1195] has A306 on the smaller stamping. I assume these smaller numbers are what would be used to determine originality. Don't know if I'll ever wade my way through the wiring mess on the U.S. car. the Canadian car doesn't have push button shift, and has a Carter 4 barrel, while the U.S. car has Rochester and push button, so lots of extra wiring- lots of broken wires, splices, and sections replaced.
Clifford

Posted on: 12/7 19:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Should have added that I have engines removed from both cars with the plan of installing the Canadian engine in the U.S. car, but getting at under hood wiring would be easier to sort while engine is out. Is the push button wiring a separate harness, or are they connected. They all go through the fire wall together on the U.S. car, but with the mess of the wires it's hard to tell.
Clifford

Posted on: 12/7 19:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To see if the engine is original to the car, check the motor number. It is stamped toward the front of the block in one of the two locations shown in the middle photo. If the engine is original to the car it will have the same number as the one on the plate attached to the drivers door jamb.

Note: I believe there may be an error in the motor number list regarding the Executive. 5670 is the chassis designation and list should have the 5672 and 5677 body styles. The motor number should match the car vehicle number as listed on the plate on door jamb.

The motor number stamping may be partially hidden by the oil filter and can be covered with dirt and grease so might not be easily visible without cleaning the area. The impressions are usually fairly easy to see after cleaning but can be somewhat faint if the guy wielding the hammer did not eat his spinach that day.

The pushbutton shift has separate harnesses and to remove it properly without doing any damage, a sequence needs to be followed and a plug must be removed. Instructions are here

Attach file:

jpg  serial numbers.jpg (861.29 KB)
209_657275a16be31.jpg 2506X1618 px

Posted on: 12/7 20:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You can't tell of it's THE original engine but you should be able to determine if it's AN original per the chart that Howard posted above.

Posted on: 12/7 21:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The engine number should match the vehicle number on 55/56 cars.

Posted on: 12/7 21:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved