Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 super 8 coil, points, condenser
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
New to the forum and not sure but this seems like the place to ask members about finding sources of parts. I need a coil, dual point set and condenser for a 1936 super 8 engine with Delco distributor. Can't find anything on Kanter or Max Merritt sites. If unavailable, are there parts from other cars that could be substituted?

Thanks for any help on my search

Glen

Posted on: 12/8 22:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 super 8 coil, points, condenser
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/parts/ on the sidebar, FYI. Though it is very incomplete.

Have you tried calling them?

Posted on: 12/9 6:36
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
On my 1936 I used a condenser from a 1964 Studebaker Avanti (Same mF range). The points came from eBay and coil was a generic 6v coil from Napa. You could also file your points.

Posted on: 12/10 11:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also see if KM Lifestyle can help. They do coils but not sure about the other items or if they could help with points. I don't know much about the prewar senior model distributors but seem to recall several have installed a kit for one of the brand distributors that consists of a mounting plate to convert to modern points or maybe it was to a single point set.

Posted on: 12/10 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

erehdedoow
See User information
I also just replaced the Napa generic 6v coil. But I'm not sure if it's suitable. Have you used it for a long time and do you find it okay?

Posted on: 12/11 2:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
I have used it on another car for about 10 years. My 1936 Packard has only run about 3 hours. I personally have had bad luck with 2 rebuilt coils by another vender.
The coil I used needed a ballast resister.

Posted on: 12/11 4:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Call Max Merritt and talk to them. Fred is very knowledgable and will help you. Much of what they have is NOT listed on line...800-472-2573 or 317-736-6233. When we were getting our 49 up to speed, they were great. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 12/11 9:32
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
Thanks to all who answered. Mike at Tucson Packard saw my original message and contacted me as he has the needed parts. Lesson learned that one shouldn't give up just because what you're looking for is not in a supplier's catalog. Call them to make sure.

Glen

Posted on: 12/11 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Few suppliers update their catalogs after they are initially created! They hire someone to create the site and once it’s done, it’s done!

Posted on: 12/11 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as the distributor condenser is concerned, NAPA/Echlin AL-869 is an acceptable, near-universal alternative for many, many applications, the prewar Senior Packards among them.

Posted on: 12/11 15:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved