Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 216

Ozstatman, Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 Packard 120 convertible sedan hood hinge cover
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Could someone please tell me the correct method to install a hood hinge cover on a '37 120? Should the hood be removed and the hinge cover slipped on over the hinge or can the hinge cover be installed by fixing the lip under the hinge on one side and then pressing/rocking the cover and clicking the other lip into place? Does the closed end go on the end at the radiator?

Thanks

Posted on: 2/16 9:16
 Top  Print   

Re: '37 Packard 120 convertible sedan hood hinge cover
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I admit holding my breath when doing this myself. It is a tight clip-on unit. I had to go out to the shop just now and check mine, but it does not have a closed end. Both ends on mine are open and need to be to clear the hinge brackets on the car's cowl and grill shell. I suggest you check your brackets and see which one would better clear the 'closed' end.
As to 'snapping' it on, I did mine off the car with the hood on my carpeted basement floor. I also lubricated the hoods centre rib with dish soap to allow the decorative strip to slide over the rib a 'bit' easier. I started at one end and slowly worked the lip over the rib until it was completely seated, then exhaled!
Good luck,
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Hood sub-assembly.JPG (1,757.28 KB)
225215_65cf899f13210.jpg 1829X2059 px

Posted on: 2/16 11:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pack36997
See User information
I think that you are on the right track but the closed end goes toward the windshield. Good luck

Posted on: 2/16 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
On my '37 120, the closed end is to the rear, and the other end meets the donut lady's base. The closed back end of the trim is visible from the driver's seat. I'd want the paint on the hood to be very well-dried before attempting to install the trim. Some light oil might help keep it from digging into the paint. I'd put the hood on the car first and get it lined up, then latch it down and lay the trim on it and align it front to back as best you can, then mark the trim piece and a point on the hood to help get the trim in alignment front to back when installing. It may not move easily once in place, and I'd want to avoid having to take it off.

Posted on: 2/16 15:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the response and suggestions as how best to install the hinge cover. I finally got mine on (Max Meritt) but am probably 10 feet closer to hell. I removed the hood to make the install and placed a 2X4 underneath to give me a solid support under the hinge. My problem was not wet paint (had been painted for 9 months) but too much paint. The epoxy primer plus the urethane was too thick, even though well oiled it would not clip on. After carefully removing much of the paint from the hinge with a razor blade I finally got it to click on. If there is a next time, which I hope there isn't, I will try sliding it into place rather than trying to clip it in place - if the hood is on the car you have no choice except to try and clip it on but off the car you can push it along a well oiled surface. Another learning is do not have the cover chrome plated. I had my original piece plated and ended up with a very brittle trim piece and one that could not be clipped into place because of the thick nickel/copper/chrome plating.

Posted on: 2/22 9:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I had to do the same thing, remove the clear coat.
I did try as you suggested to slide it on but the surface tension is way to high to allow it to slip that far. I am sure the trim would be distorted catastrophically if I proceeded any further, so I went back to snapping it over and it worked fine.
So that is to say I think you did it the only way possible, well done!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2/22 11:54
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ngagreement
See User information
Quote:

Dbedsole wrote:
Thanks for the response and suggestions as how best to install the hinge cover. I finally got mine on (Max Meritt) but am probably 10 feet closer to hell. I removed the hood to make the install and placed a 2X4 underneath to give me a solid support under the hinge. My problem was not wet paint (had been painted for 9 months) but too much paint. The epoxy primer plus the urethane was too thick, even though well oiled it would not clip on. After carefully removing much of the paint from the hinge with a razor blade I finally got it to click on. If there is a next time, which I hope there isn't, I will try sliding it into place rather than trying to clip it in place - if the hood is on the car you have no choice except to try and clip it on but off the car you can push it along a well oiled surface. Another learning is do not have the cover chrome plated. I had my original piece plated and ended up with a very brittle trim piece and one that could not be clipped into place because of the thick nickel/copper/chrome plating. mario games

Thank you for creating this topic. I was the same as you, I couldn't install the hinge and didn't know what the cause was. I seem to have given up. As you said, I just tried scraping off the paint on the hinge and I was finally able to press it. Great. Have a nice day.

Posted on: 2/27 23:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
ngagreement, to PackardInfo.

Interesting "work around" in this thread over on the AACA'S forums. Not Packard but might work?

And I invite you to include your Packard/s in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2/28 0:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved