Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

remi, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Not sure what I have exactly
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dave1970
See User information
I know! Like the father of the Titanic!

Posted on: 2/20 17:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might need to look around the distributor for the motor number. There has been some confusion as to how early the numbers actually started being placed above the starter motor. It could have started with the later 50 models but might not have been until the 51s. This article was published in 46 and is applicable thru the 47 models. It has also been said to be accurate for most of the 22 and 23 series 48-50 cars.

The motor number is stamped in the metal most likely by a hammer and hand stamp. It may be on a smooth pad but some have been in the rough casting surface. Either location can be fairly faint if the guy doing the stamping wasn't feeling it that day. There is every chance it will also be covered in dirt or grease so you may need to wire brush the area.

Attach file:

jpg  numbers.jpg (263.24 KB)
209_65d52b4e4afe5.jpg 618X1522 px

Posted on: 2/20 17:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, as Howard said and to add that the raised boss on which it is stamped should be obvious even if the number itself is not so finding the boss you'll know where to focus your effort to read whatever is there. I once had an engine that was likely a field replacement with the boss but no stamping at all but even those were typically stamped.

As for exactly what the car is, that was already clearly stated in an earlier post as a 1948 Super Deluxe Eight Long Wheelbase Sedan so no mystery there. The first four digits of VIN alone gives that information.

Posted on: 2/20 19:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Dave1970 wrote:.....I've been trying to find stuff on the internet but it's kind of confusing. Some places say it's the touring sedan, others say deluxe long wheelbase etc and if I put in certain things it comes up as 22xx and others it matches the 21xx. Some 49 features and some 48......

See this LINK, found in Main Menu under Model Info. By selecting the year you want to research, in this case - 1948, it takes you a page containing Model/Chassis numbers and their corressponding Body Numbers as well as the naming nomenclature

Posted on: 2/20 21:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '48 Super Deluxe Eight Long WB Sedan in the Registry

Posted on: 2/21 0:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved