Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Engine Color
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
I've got a question for the group.
I have a 22 series 1949 Custom Sedan with a 356 engine. From what I've gathered on this site the original color was either green or gray. When I look at my engine I can tell both the head and block were red.
I've found only one reference to red engines in the literature and it says that red engines were factory rebuilds.
My question to you is if I'm restoring the car should I take it back to the factory colors (green or gray) or represent "this" cars history and make it red?
What do you think?

Posted on: 2/27 9:26
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Engine Color
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I would leave it red to reflect the car's history. Most likely the engine number may not match your registration due to the engine switch, unless the dealer put the original engine's number on the rebuilt engine. The other option, if the numbers match, is that the original engine was removed, rebuilt, and re-installed. Just one of the opinions you are apt to receive. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2/27 11:11
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Personally I would paint it the factory colour. As much as possible I try to keep my car original.........it's a slippery slope once you start changing things.

Someone else can confirm, but I'm pretty sure your engine would have been green, battleship gray came later. "If" what you found is correct, that your engine is red because it's a factory rebuild, then I would make it red because that's original and cool. I can't speak to that one way or another, but I know there are others here than can.

Posted on: 2/27 11:12
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Thanks Ernie, I appreciate what you said.

Posted on: 2/27 12:14
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Thanks 53Cavalier, I like hearing what the group thinks.

Posted on: 2/27 12:16
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
To the best of my knowledge, all the 22nd/23rd series cars had gray (or grey if you are British) engines. The exception was some very early 22nd series convertibles with the 356 engine which were green. All three of my 22nd/23rd series 356 engines were gray from the factory. One has been re-painted green since it was transplanted into a 1941 180 limo.

Posted on: 2/28 9:46
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with JD with the exception that the very early 356 engines perhaps being green may not have been limited to just some of the convertibles. My very early 2252 had a green engine with no evidence that it had been overpainted in later years.

Posted on: 2/28 11:39
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveJr
See User information
Thanks JD and Owen.
I dont think I can go wrong with either gray or green. But do you think I should respect the history of "this" car and paint it red. As red engines were "factory rebuilt" engines. And Packard did the rebuild.

Posted on: 2/28 13:39
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Since you asked and if it were mine, I would paint it gray. That's my two-cent's worth.

Posted on: 2/28 14:30
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The red painted engines were not factory rebuilt but rather new replacement long blocks with no stamped serial number.
I have one of these that came out of a 22nd Series Custom 8 sedan.

Posted on: 2/28 14:36
 Top  Print   
Like (3)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved