Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
The pump for your car has an arm something like this.

You said you have a 53 so that arm would be much shorter than the 55-6 pump and similar in shape to the arm on this pump from the service manual. Also, when installing the pump don't forget the thick fiber plate or gasket that goes between the pump and block. The fiber plate along with fiber bushings which fill the extra space in the large bolt holes is part of a heat insulator kit. The plate acts as both a heat insulator and sort of a shim. The extra thickness moves the pump a bit farther away from the cam so the arm is not stressed quite as much.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/14 22:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Kenken wrote:........the number on the fuel pump is : 9589

If anyone has a Motors Manual or a Hollanders, of the appropriate era,( I don't remember which, my manuals are long gone) there is a table/listing of that type of fuel pump number, which is stamped on a flange of the pump, and the specific application.
Maybe BDeB got his identification that way?

Posted on: 3/14 23:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a Motor’s Manual up at my shop but had forgotten that it had the chart. To add to what Howard said, there were also supposed to be fiber washers under the bolt heads which precludes tightening them much so the bolts have holes for wiring them in place which I have never done. The arm on the photo that Howard posted is of an earlier design but essentially has the same shape.

Posted on: 3/15 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have some old AC and Airtex fuel pump catalogs and found the AC 9589 pump number in an Airtex catalog that crossed over to the Airtex replacement pump number AX 9294 and then found the 1949-54 Oldsmobile listing from there.
The arm on the pump in the original photos is definitely too long and wrong for Packard applications.

Posted on: 3/15 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I suspect you drop the first three Packard subnumbers to reference the AC numbers.
I'll go down the garage and see what's what. I'm pretty sure I have a chart somewhere.

added:
If you look at file ending 75, that's the factory prefix number adds I mention above. Good thing to know when searching parts, how it was done.
The 9589 is the same as a 9294, so if you look across from the early P numbers to Olds on file 90, that's the equivalent as already noted.
The other file is all the rest of the years for P.
Kev, should post these somewhere on here or tell me how and where? Last time only he could do those things but I'm not uptodate.

Attach file:

pdf img20240316_14384090.pdf Size: 519.18 KB; Hits: 77
pdf img20240316_14370475.pdf Size: 677.30 KB; Hits: 51
pdf img20240316_14393580.pdf Size: 584.83 KB; Hits: 55

Posted on: 3/16 12:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved