Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

V8 Engine Disassembly, Inspection
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hello,

In the coming weeks I will be disassembling/inspecting my 320 V8 engine. I am already familiar with the engine service manual and can do those metrological inspections, but I am wondering if there are any other tips or shortcuts besides following the manual verbatim. The engine is out of the car.

Also, what should I use as a substitute for some of the special tools? For example, the damper I believe you can just borrow or rent a puller from an auto parts store, but some of the other things I am not so sure.

Also, does anyone know if you can get just a water pump impeller? I'd rather rebuild it myself than buy one that's already rebuilt.

BTW, I am also reading thru this topic:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18193&forum=3

Posted on: 3/15 14:07
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Engine Disassembly, Inspection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Read thru Cli55ers Custom Clipper blog as he has some pages with his experiences on water pump rebuilding. I think he found some individual pieces and maybe an impeller but do remember he had some other issues. His experiences might help you avoid any problems.

On the vibration damper puller get or make something that has jaws that reach far enough in to pull behind the inner piece to get the ends close to the shaft. Pulling on just the edges of the outer circumference of the damper is almost a guarantee that on old dampers you will separate the two pieces at what is probably a dried rubber vulcanization. You might be able to rent something or if you have a welder and scrap steel you might be able to sort of copy the factory tool.

Posted on: 3/15 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Crucial to disassemble the rocker assembly, remove the soft plugs at the end of the shaft and rod out the inside of the rocker shaft. Usually, the rocker arm tips require regrinding.

Have you found new 320" pistons? Last I looked, they were NLA. Since all the other parts are the same and 352" short blocks are still thick on the ground, you might consider upgrading.

Have the rotating assembly balanced. Packard bragged about their balance precision, but it's not that good by modern standards.

Carefully inspect the front balance damper. About one in three is cracked down the keyway. I've developed a fix for this or just find a good used damper. Easier said than done in that half you'll find the rubber has perished.

Having been there done that, I'll never rebuild another water pump. Pay the man.

I've successfully rebuilt the Packard oil pump, if one wants to retain the vacuum wiper pump. Otherwise, the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion is the way to go.

A '55 320" had the soft valve spring retainers. Those must be changed out for the hardened retainers.

jack vines

Posted on: 3/15 15:43
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Thanks Jack and Howard. I should note that this is not going to be driven a ton so I'm looking to do pretty much the minimum possible, not a quality proper rebuild good for another 50k miles. More like 3k miles over several years. I already am planning to replace the seals, so it makes sense to give everything a good inspection.

- I will upgrade the valve clips.
- I would be interested on how you did your oil pump rebuild. I have 1-2 spares also for parts. If the engine is in very good mechanical condition I think I will do the Olds conversion. But if it's already worn out I don't see much reason to if I can get the old pump working sufficiently. By the way, it's a Nash/Hudson style 320, which has a vacuum pump under the fuel pump. IDK what oil pump was in these, I assume they just used a plate instead a second vacuum pump.
- I'll check out Cli55ers blog on the water pump but if I need to buy one it won't be the end of the world.

Posted on: 3/15 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm not sure if he's still doing it but Jack Vines was doing fantastic oil pump rebuilds that I would much prefer over any conversion. I believe he's on this site and is located in Washington State.

Posted on: 3/15 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Don read the comment two below yours 😁

Posted on: 3/15 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Funny! I must have missed Jack's posting!

Posted on: 3/15 16:26
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
If you don't have access to the J-5992 vibration damper remover, there is an interesting alternative solution shown in this YouTube video.
Home made vibration damper puller

Posted on: 3/15 17:47
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:

A '55 320" had the soft valve spring retainers. Those must be changed out for the hardened retainers.

jack vines

What group number is that? 5.1707 or 8?

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=20&PlateNumber=28&partslist=1955-1956

Posted on: 3/19 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
By the way, it's a Nash/Hudson style 320, which has a vacuum pump under the fuel pump. IDK what oil pump was in these, I assume they just used a plate instead a second vacuum pump.
The shape of the HASH oil pan required a different pump and pickup, but AFAIK, the gears are the same. The '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk used the same pump and pickup as the Packards, but also had a flat bottom plate instead of the vacuum pump.

With the three versions Packard used, the HASH, the Hawk, that's five different oil pumps on a very short production life engine.

jack vines

Posted on: 3/19 10:41
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved