Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Part identification - 39 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
That looks like a throttle return spring. It may or may not be original.

Is everything working as it should be? Any difference in the way systems are behaving....

My '37 had about three different springs on it as none of them were correct and a moron P.O. had just kept kludging it up rather than find the right part for the job, and connect the linkage properly.

Posted on: 3/18 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
With all the suggestions I decided to take a look from the top side and can confirm the throttle spring is there and is looser as others noted. I played with the emergency brake and it does feel a little looser but that could be in my head. The clutch play feels normal.

Posted on: 3/18 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi CCR,
When I had my '39 apart, I ended up with 2 springs, one for brake pedal return and one for clutch lever return and did not know which was which. I posted the question here and got an answer. I believe your broken spring is one or the other of these two. I have posted the picture below. I am not near my car now but will be in a couple of days and can check which one is which if you want. Chris
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/27 12:17
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
This all may sound crazy but... there was a break in rain the one day and I had time for a short drive so I started the car, pulled it out with plans to get up on the ramps. I didn't sense any issues with shifting or braking so I drove a bit to test. I didn't notice any difference in driving/stopping/shifting etc. Now I am starting to wonder if the part came off my riding mower deck, so this may have been the oddest series of spring confusion.

Posted on: 3/28 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hey CCR,
I would say your spring is the one on the right in my photo with the long tail broken off. If I recall correctly, it is a brake pedal return spring and while the pedal will return on it's own, the spring makes it a more positive action. If you depress the brake pedal and then slip your foot off and let it go, I'm guessing there would be less of a clunk than before. I am in the Toronto airport, heading home today and can have a look, probably tomorrow. You could also try and find the post from 2019 where I asked if anyone could identify the springs and where they went. Some pretty good photos there if I recall. Chris.

Posted on: 3/29 8:44
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Where did you find the spring (inside or outside the car)? If I remember correctly it looks like the spring for the cowl on my '32. It pulls the bar up against the lever for the cowl, which has indents in it to allow positioning the cowl at various opening.

Posted on: 4/2 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
It was laying on the ground and I know wasn't related to the cowl as I had that unbolted, etc. in the Fall (no springs, just 4 bolts). Still need to check on a brake "return" spring as someone else suggested but lately I have spent my time on trying to get my Clipper running and disassembly of my "rough" Six. Finally got the head off of that one today-- whew. That project I feel like I'm doing a reverse Johnny Cash.

Posted on: 4/2 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Here are pics I managed today from the brake/clutch area. If anyone sees an obvious miss by me feel free to point it out.

Attach file:

jpg  sp1.jpg (2,110.67 KB)
225785_660f5daff38bf.jpg 4080X3072 px

jpg  sp2.jpg (2,937.66 KB)
225785_660f5dc3e9053.jpg 4080X3072 px

jpg  sp3.jpg (2,150.17 KB)
225785_660f5e02c27ae.jpg 3072X4080 px

Posted on: 4/4 21:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved