Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Rear axle help (54-55)
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
And in addition to making the marks, others have cautioned you need to count the number of turns it takes to remove the nut in order to get it back on in the exact position. Counting may be difficult if it suddenly breaks free with the impact tool.

Thanks everyone. I've found that, assuming the nut is clean, just marking between the nut and shaft itself then snapping a photo will usually make it self explanatory the number of turns required. Of course this assumes the mark won't get worn off when you unscrew the nut, which could happen with these lock nuts. Even then counting the number of threads in the photo will usually get you back on track.

Am going to HF tomorrow to get a bigger breaker bar and also an exact 1-3/8 socket unless I can find one to borrow (was using a 1-7/16)

Posted on: 4/27 19:20
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
Just a tip. If your going to remove the nut as in the picture, swap the adjustable wrench to the left side of the yoke, so the bench backs it up. You exert more leverage when the wrenches are over one another. Use a machinist scale or depth mike to measure from end of pinion to face of nut and use a prick punch to "pip" mark the nut and face of pinion shaft for alignment. When re-assembled you should check pinion end play anyway. The bearings could be worn enough so that they wouldn't have the proper pre-load even if you do "count your turns". PB

Posted on: 4/28 9:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have a fairly short breaker bar, but I learned a long time ago that the handle to my floor jack could slip over the handle on the breaker bar. This now have me a 3 foot long breaker.

Posted on: 4/28 18:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information

Posted on: 4/28 19:03
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved