Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rubber sill plate removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
Does anyone know of a good way to remove the rubber sill plate? I have a replacement I would like to install but need to remove the old first.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4683.jpeg (2,415.34 KB)
209761_66098e8de572d.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 3/31 11:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Rubber sill plate removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
They are held on with spring clips on outer edge, if I remember correctly. Then rotate up to remove. Protect paint with heave tape and use strong putty knife on outer edge. I replaced mine with repos which glued on. good luck Dell

Posted on: 3/31 11:37

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dell is correct. You need to lift up the inside edge of the sill plate next to the stainless about an inch to release some clips near the inside edge which push straight down into holes in the body sheetmetal. Once the inside edge clears the stainless and clips are clear of the body holes slide the entire sill assy toward the inside of the car to release hook like clips that are close to the outer edge. If you need to use some tool to pry the inside edge up, be careful not to push against and dent the stainless. As I recall, screws holding the stainless piece are under the sill plate so it cannot be removed first.

The original sill rubber was vulcanized to a corrugated plate holding the clips so it will not work as is to be a flat surface to hold the new repro sills. It may be possible to remove the old rubber and use Bondo to smooth out the plate to glue and hold the new repros but that will be difficult and may raise the new rubber a bit too high. Usually glue or perhaps some 3M double stick tape directly to the body sheetmetal is what is used to hold the repros.

Posted on: 3/31 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
Thanks! This seems like one of those projects that looks simple at first but quickly becomes a headache. Lol

Posted on: 3/31 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Just so happens I have the drawings for these if needed.

Posted on: 4/11 16:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pipesargent
See User information
Well it popped right off just like you all said it would with no damage to the Stainless Steel. I was able to rubber cement the new one right where the old one was after cleaning up the spot.

Thanks again to everyone with the sage advice!

Posted on: 4/22 23:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

BlakesPackards
See User information
Where did you source them from? I’m really interested in finding some for my 2dr’s

Posted on: 4/23 12:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved