Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Jack Vines, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Packard Master Sales Program
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
Hello,

I've recently acquired two mostly complete sets of the 1948 Master Salesman program records and film slides.

I'd like to digitize these. Looks like they are 16" (transcription?) records and I'm not sure what the film strips are. Some of the films include "Three of the Finest", "The Little Giants:, etc.

Does anyone know what the best equipment to play these on are? I have heard some of these large format records play from the inside groove out, so I'm not sure if a conventional turntable will run them. Most of these films are already uploaded on youtube, but not always in the best quality. I also have some service-related films that look like a smaller film format.

Posted on: 4/13 18:11
Alberta - Canada

Wanted - 22nd Series Custom Eight, Overdrive + Electromatic Clutch
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Packard Master Sales Program
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might send a PM to Mathew Rattray in Australia and see what he uses as a player. He has made several of the YouTube items. Not sure how often he gets on the forum anymore to pick up a PM but if he doesn't respond reasonably fast maybe you could also ask if Mal (Ozstatman) or one of the other Australian members could get him a message. I know some of the old talking or instructional records of the time used a speed of around 16 rpm which many of the record players made in the 50s could do.

Posted on: 4/13 18:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have some unrelated transcription disks but whether they play from the inside out or not isn't the issue. The problem is that they do not fit anything but a custom turntable where the arm's pivot point is far enough out to allow them to fit and that the arm itself be long enough to be able to traverse the entire disk. If they do indeed play from the inside out, it's simple matter of recording them and, if necessary, using software such as Audacity to reverse them. You could even digitize them at a different speed, then change it using software. I have actually remastered and released a number of shellac and vinyl recordings so this isn't just a guess on my part!

Posted on: 4/13 19:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Mat is likely to see your post and respond. If not, give me a nudge and in turn I'll contact Mat.

Posted on: 4/13 19:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
I did find some reasonably priced 16" turntables on ebay and PM'ed Mathew, hopefully I can try out these films soon!

Posted on: 4/19 23:55
Alberta - Canada

Wanted - 22nd Series Custom Eight, Overdrive + Electromatic Clutch
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved