Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

John Wogec, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

anybody know proper tire pressure on a 1929 6.5-20 tire?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Gregory N Martin
See User information
Any difference in recommended pressures front and rear?

Posted on: 4/14 14:47
 Top  Print   

Re: anybody know proper tire pressure on a 1929 6.5-20 tire?
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You have bias ply or radial?

Posted on: 4/14 19:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A 6.5 x 20 would be a bias ply tire. I'm not aware of what pressures Packard might have recommended.

One approach would be to get a recommendation from the tire manufacturer.

Another approach would be to compare the vehicle weight including gas, oil, water and a typical passenger and baggage load to the maximum weight carrying capacity of the 4 tires, as marked on the tire. As the two weights approach each other, the inflation pressure should approach the maximum pressure needed to bear that load. That information should be molded into the tire sidewall.

As mileage accumulates, check the tread wear pattern for signs of under- or overinflation and adjust pressure accordingly.

Posted on: 4/14 19:42
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Maybe try the chalk test? Never done it on a smaller tire, but on off-road tires I run a band of chalk across the tread and drive the vehicle forward and reverse on a level surface. Look at where the chalk was rubbed off and adjust the tire pressure accordingly. Tire pressure is good when it wears off evenly.

Posted on: 4/14 20:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Seems like for the 50's cars, regardless of bias ply or radial, the recommended pressure is about 3/4 of the tire max. Packard recommended 24 for bias plys (typical max 32) and radialites usually run 32-35 (typical max 45).

I suspect if you applied Dave's logic you would arrive at such a result for these cars.

Food for thought.

Posted on: 4/14 20:29
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An example. My 8-ply rated 7.00 x 17 bias ply have a rating of 1560 lbs at 40 psi each for a total of 6240 lbs. Naked car weight is 4640 and with gas, oil, water and 2 passengers is probably about 5300 lbs. Experience has shown that a cold inflation pressure of 36-37 psi is best for this set of circumstances.

Posted on: 4/15 9:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
The manual for my 1928 526 suggests 40 psi. However, it has 600 x 20 tires. The 1931 manual for the 826 - 833 cars and the 840 - 845 cars says that tires should be kept at 40 psi also. I don't have access to a 1929 manual, but I guess the magic number is 40 psi.

Posted on: 4/15 13:31
Phil
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Yes, I remember reading that in the manual (I assume it’s similar for my 443) and thinking it’s really high. I’ve kept mine slightly under that (around 35 psi) as I’m a bit terrified of a blowout. I don’t know just how old the tires on mine are but I cannot seem to find a max psi indication on them.

Posted on: 4/15 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
tire, if it's current, will have a max. load and psig rating on it(req'd).

Posted on: 4/16 15:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

pmhowe
See User information
The tires on my Series 526 are at least twenty years old - so are the tubes. I suspect the weak points are the valve stems for the tubes. They have developed small cracks in the rubber, similar to those in the tires. Like you, I am worried about a blowout, and I am saving for new tires this fall.

I find that, in my car, 35 psi makes the steering heavy, especially at low speeds. At 40 psi, the steering is acceptable, and the ride is still not a bit harsh. I am looking forward to see how the ride and handling will be with new tires this fall.

Posted on: 4/17 6:28
Phil
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved