Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 2300 series 2-tone paint scheme
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I want to paint my 1950 Packard Deluxe Touring Sedan in a factory correct optional 2-tone paint scheme I need 2 bits of information.
1. Was the optional 2-tone paint available in any combination of factory colors or was it restricted in some way?
2. Where was the break between the top color and the bottom color?

Presently the car is yellow (Packard called it something else)including the firewall. Since I do not wish to paint the firewall now I want to repaint the top the original yellow color. The bottom of the car wants to be Packard Blue, a very dark metallic blue. I have the old paint charts. Right now I am guessing the yellow on top should extend from the firewall all the way back to the rear of the trunk, including all the yellow parts surrounding the windows. There would be almost zero masking required as the paint break is at a chrome strip under the windows. I have looked at factory sales literature and have seen both this color arrangement and also one that breaks at the rain gutter with masking on the sides behind the rear windows. This second paint scheme does not include the trunk lid in the top color. Which paint scheme is correct?

Posted on: 2009/6/18 15:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 2300 series 2-tone paint scheme
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Fred Puhn wrote:......my 1950 Packard Deluxe Touring Sedan.......

G'day Fred,
See it's your first post so to PackardInfo.

Sorry I can't help with your query but I do invite you to include your '50 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 15:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suggest you take a look at the 48-54 Parts Manual which is availble on this website, it provides a partial answer to your questions with the factory two-tone schemes. They were X over T (black over ivory), L over M (red over taupe), and L over T (red over ivory).

I suspect most would agree that the 22nd-23rd body shell wasn't particularly well-suited to two-tone paint schemes.

EDIT - Sorry, I was reading the list for the 24th series, not the 23rd, thanks for catching my error, JD. No two-tone schemes for 23rd series according to the parts book. It's just as well, these cars don't look good in 2-tone schemes.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Fred,
1. The color combinations for the two-tone schemes were mandated by Packard.
2. The 23rd series were solid color. As best I can determine from the Parts List and Paint Chip Charts, the two tone scheme was dropped for the 23rd series.

You can see the chip chart for the '50 Packards here:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1950_Dupont.pdf

Although it's certainly a matter of personal opinion, I agree with Owen that the 22nd series did not lend itself to a two-tone very well.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 0:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Fred

If you do want to paint it 2tone, breaking it on the chrome strip would be much easier. I also had to decide on a color scheme recently but in the end painted it something totally different. Not even a Packard color. I guess it all boils down to what you want and can geta hold of.

Personally, I think a darker color, even black, looks good on the streamliners. I have seen a car in 2 tone, and it sure is different. Dark blue over cream.

Hope you come right but it is a personal decision.

Enjoy it anyway!
Barrie

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As far as the two-tone 'break' is concerned (22nd series), it appears that it depended on the model. The Sedan broke at the roof crease at the body while the Club Sedan appears to run all the way down the trunk lid. I think the Club Sedan looks better in two-tone than the Sedan but still not great. The break on the sedan looks like an afterthought. In all cases for the 22nd series, the darker color was on top.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.60 KB)
188_4a3ba161112fc.jpg 288X211 px

jpg  (5.67 KB)
188_4a3ba5366f96e.jpg 288X209 px

Posted on: 2009/6/19 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The two tones were promoted for the 22nd series. I don't have the color chart with me, but as I recall the two tone green shown above is the only color combo which does not use Egyptian Sand as the lower color - the top was then brown, green, or blue. The break on a sedan was the swage line below the rear window, and the whole decklid on a club sedan, as you say. Egyptian Sand is not a yellow , it is a putty beige (I've seen original cars). The cowl is painted the lower color.

The general rule in two tone styling is to have the top color lighter to lower the appearance of the car. The 1941 combinations are all that way. So I agree that the 48's are "backwards."

Posted on: 2009/6/19 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Maybe not for the manufacturers but there was another, more practical, reason for the top colour of two-tone paint schemes to be the lighter one for those of us who lived in the desert South-west.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The 22ns series cars had a yellow, called Packard Ivory, but the color was not used on 23rd series cars as far as I can tell from the parts manual. So, that being the said, if you're not going to repaint the entire car, paint it any way you like. I know it's not a stock color or combination. After all it is your car.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 21:18
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If I were a bettin' man, I'd bet that Fred's car is currently paint code Z 'Maumee Maize' (pronounced Mommy Mays?). I guess that sounded more sophisticated at the time than 'Corn Yellow'.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 23:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved