Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

Don B, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

where can i fnd the clips for the chrome on 53 clipper deluxe
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
I've checked Max Merrit and Kanter but i can not find the clips that hold the chrome on the body. I've found clips on ebay and it says that it will fit all models but i'm not sure if they are the right clips or not.I have a 1953 clipper deluxe can anyone point me in the direction to find the proper clips.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 16:49
 Top  Print   

Re: where can i fnd the clips for the chrome on 53 clipper deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Try Restoration Specialtieshttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/.

They carry the Auveco line of clips and most of the ones the car needs can be referenced or a substitute found. Depending on which ones you need though, Packard did have some specials and other than vendors, don't have a suggestion.

You can download their catalog, and lay one of your clips out as most of their drawings are actual size. Here is a sample of their illustrations--a half a page out of about 2 dozen.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.86 KB)
209_4a3eadafc7866.jpg 586X489 px

Posted on: 2009/6/21 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
What is the width size you need? I have moulding clips for 3/4 or 1" moulding.
50 clips for $10.00

Posted on: 2009/6/21 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Here is a photo of the clips.

Attach file:

jpg  (177.32 KB)
385_4a3ec623569ba.jpg 1280X1024 px

Posted on: 2009/6/21 18:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Kam, Still have some clips. Measure the width of your mouldings. My clips will fit either 3/4" or 1" mouldings. 50 clips for $10..00 plus shipping. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/7 14:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
I've not gotten this far yet since I don't know how to remove the spears and the side molding on my `53 400. Was afraid of bending them. HOW do they come off? thanks, gary

Posted on: 2009/8/8 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the parts book, I think you're going to find a mixture. The type dallas is showing which are "springs" just pop into a hole & can be pried out with a sturdy putty knife over some padding. The "butterfly" type show in the catalog page above are a stud thru the hole with a nut holding. The larger pieces such as the arrow or emblem area also most likely nuts on stud. You can get an idea of where to expect either by looking at the parts book. If the particular strip or piece lists a nut along with the piece, then a stud, if a clip then usually the spring. Look at the plates for group # of the item and then check section 30 for the details.

At the accessible places such as inside the trunk and inside front fender, you should be able to see what is there. Inside the doors without taking panels off is more of a challenge.

Anything where there is no rear access like fender wells or welded structures usually have springs. Packard was known to throw a ringer on occasion though with some clips permanently mounted and the molding had to be slid over them a short distance via a notched opening on the underside of chrome.

Of course, if the molding has been removed & replaced before, you only can guess as to what was used to replace if the original clip was damaged.

Posted on: 2009/8/8 12:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I had the same problem for my 1951 300. What I did was to use 1 1/4" Outside diameter fender washers (I got mine at
Menards) , epoxied a 10-24x 3/4" slotted pan head book-binding screw to it to hold it in place, and cut the rubber washers from an old bike innertube. Total cost for the 14 screws for the front fenders was $2.00.
Casey Rog

Posted on: 2009/8/9 11:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
If they are the same as my 1951 300, you have timmerman speed nuts (I believe 10-24) holding the moldings in place inside the fender. You can get the spear points off without removing the fender, however, you have to remove the front fender to get off the fender moldings. If the car was undercoated you will have to scrape the undercoating off the speed nuts, but they should unscrew.
Casey Rog

Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved