Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Scored a 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
I picked up a 51 288 for $50. I was told it was stuck, but figured what the hell it's cheap? Turns out the motor is loose. I pulled the head off last night and the number 6 piston has big chunk taken out and some serious ridges on the cylinder walls. What am I going to do with it I have no idea but the thing is feakin cool! Any ever build a stand to hold these? Will a thunderbolt head fit this? The guy had two but I didn't know if it would fit.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 7:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Scored a 288
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
jreeder41 wrote: I picked up a 51 288 for $50.........Will a thunderbolt head fit this? The guy had two but I didn't know if it would fit.

From what I understand all the 288/327/359 heads will interchange. But compression ratios vary and I believe to boost CR the 288 head, because of it's smaller chamber area, is usually used on the 327.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 15:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The heads will interchange, and apparently the best head to have is the 288 AT head, it has the smallest chambers. What I would do if I were you and you wanted to hot rod it was find a 5 main 327 crank and stick it in there but use the 288 rods so you can use lighter modern aftermarket forged pistons. It depends on how far you want to take the engine on what you can do with it. Saying that, I have a few ideas on what to do with them.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 15:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
What I would do if I were you and you wanted to hot rod it was find a 5 main 327 crank and stick it in there but use the 288 rods so you can use lighter modern aftermarket forged pistons.

Are the modern after market pistons shorter from the pin to the top of the piston? Seems that would have to be the case if what you are suggesting is valid. I think the 288 rods are longer than the 327 rods because the 327 crank has a longer stroke than the 288. Thought the factory pistons were the same between the 288 and the 327?

Posted on: 2009/9/3 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
So I actually have the best head for the situation? I think I am going this in a model T huckster truck. Does anyone have a flywheel to fit this? Eric, I would be interested in your ideas if you would like to share.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bob, I covered that here: Packard Piston Height Specs

JReeder, I have a manual flywheel that fits it, as well as a bellhousing. If you're interested, send me an email at turbopackman327 @gmail.com Remove the space between the 7 and the @.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks Eric, That was good reading.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 19:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Al
See User information
LOL,

Sorry, I just joined this site and have been reading forums for hours, I see Im a little late with this one but here goes anyways. I have a spare 49-50 288, it runs great, all original with like 65,000 original miles on it.I built this stand for it. The pic doesnt show it but I have a battery,original Packard radiator, with the original bracketry, a couple switches, and muffler on it.What am I gonna do with it ? I start it up and sit there and look at it, like you said, its COOL.Im thinking about just leaving it alone mechanically, and detailing the heck out of it.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.21 KB)
2629_4be62e29a2889.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (20.60 KB)
2629_4be62e39cbbe5.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (21.06 KB)
2629_4be62e4be971f.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2010/5/8 22:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's one option but you'd probably enjoy it more if it were all nicely detailed but sitting under the hood of a Packard with you behind the wheel. Oh, and by the way, welcome.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 22:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Al,

Howard's suggestion to clothe it in a Packard is no doubt the best solution. But, I like the concept of the freestanding and running Packard engine as indicated in this thread. Maybe you could display and run it at shows/events? A well detailed running engine should draw quite a crowd.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 0:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved