Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
187 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 187

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electromatic 1,2,3
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I actually have some experience with the Electromatic Clutch and the system is repairable given the parts are there and servicable, you have some good test equipment, and you understand that the unit will never work as well as new without NOS parts.

For Electromatic to function properly the motor must be in excellent condition with good compression (110psi) on all cylinders. I don't know what happens to Electromatic when starting on a steep grade, and given the service manual flatly states that the unit is temperamental, the whole idea makes me shudder. Although, Tom McCahill did test Electromatic and had no complaints other than - why?

Step 1: Make sure you have all the parts. Keep in mind that the numerous permutations serve as a caveat.

Step 2: Disconnect the lockout solenoid and check condition using an ohmmeter and fused jumper leads. If the windings are not open, jump the unit to battery voltage with the motor running. If the motor stalls or misfires you have a vacuum leak (consult service manual). If the Cushion Point is set up correctly then the clutch pedal should move as you watch. If yes, congradulations you have a working Electromatic Clutch!

Step 3: The electrical speed control items read like automatic transmission theory. Thus the name. Test the lockout switch (manual valve) for power using a test light. See if you get battery voltage (pump pressure) to the lockout solenoid. If yes, then the problem is in the speed control circuit (governor, throttle, and bypass valves). Electromatic should always work in neutral, first (breakaway), and second (intermediate)regardless of speed. If the relays (where applicable) are junk you can substitute 6 volt headlight relays and make up a new harness. Go to the Accelerator Switch and check function using an ohmeter. If the switch is good then check for continuity to ground. If no then Governor and Direct Speed Lockout are not functioning. Jump the switch to ground. If unit now functions the harness is good from there forward.

Step 4: Neither of these is required to make Electromatic work in a parking lot. The governor only functions to energize Electromatic below 22mph in third gear (direct drive). Thus, if Governor is junk you can ignore and rely only on the Direct Speed Switch. Be careful to observe that the cover screw acting as ground post for the governor is subject to corrosion and thus should always be modified by substitution of a #10 anti-shake washer. The Direct Speed Lockout is the normally closed control switch for Electromatic. If you are missing speed control parts then jump the system to ground as necessary. You can test the Governor by shifting into third gear with your foot on the clutch. If you feel Electromatic lock out you have a Governor problem. The Accelerator Switch is in series with Governor and does not affect the Electromatic Cushion Point.

Theoretically the Electromatic Clutch is a superior method of clutch control - especially for operators of truck fleets whose drivers routinely destroy clutches. However, Packard was building the unit to sell cars and likely only intended the feature as a temporarly fix until the ultimate development - Ultramatic (?).

Recently someone argued with me that anything on these cars is repairable given money. That is like saying all that is necessary to replace a Stradivarius Violin is a good insurance policy. If the only problem is money why can't one of these rich people build a time machine and get me some new parts?

Hope this helps anyone who wants to experiment with their Electromatic Clutch and perhaps have some fun at the next Packard show.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 11:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Electromatic 1,2,3
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Tim, That is a great posting and I hope you will put it in the FAQ Forum. I have a working E.Clutch in my '47 and it is really a nice option especially in parades! Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey thanks,

I had one of these come in which a short to voltage was wired into the overdrive and electromatic clutch. Once I straightened that out the unit functioned perfectly to the point that the car would creep just as the manual says upon closing the cushion point linkage. However, it was a low mileage car and already had a replacement clutch.

I think the biggest problem was the units being dismantled because of malfunction due to low motor vacuum.

Posted on: 2009/10/23 20:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

michael55
See User information
Hi I have a 46 2100 and my wife has a disability,
I am restoring this car now, I just put in the engin
6 cyl. I was thinking if I could get all parts
could I put a electromatic clutch in so she wont have
to shift or as much. thank you Michael Fries

Posted on: 2009/12/28 2:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
michael55 wrote:.....have a 46 2100 and my wife has a disability.....I was thinking if I could get all parts
could I put a electromatic clutch in......
G'day Michael,
First, to PackardInfo.

Second, I have a '41 1901 which originally had an Electromatic clutch but most of it was removed many years before I bought the car. I did have visions of replacing the Electromatic setup and to this end I did buy a Control Unit. However now that reality has set in I realise I will never do this. So, bearing in mind it might not fit a '46, if you'd like the unit and what's left of the linkages and switches as well as the original very tired wiring harness I'll let you have it just for the cost of shipping. Mind you, I am in Australia so shipping to the USA is fairly costly. Saying that it's probably better if you can find a parts car with everything there or failing that a complete setup on eBay or from a Packard parts vendor but be prepared to pay big $$$.

And third, Could you please include your '46 2100 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/12/28 3:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Despite Mal's generous offer, I think you'd be better with a post war unit. They are simpler electrically having a single solenoid, no relays and only a couple of switches. Adjustments are also much easier--although still can be tedious. Also not sure if the additional switches needed for early unit would mount on your transmission.

Posted on: 2009/12/28 9:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved