Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 23 series issues: brakes and smoke
Just popping in
Just popping in

49packsuper
See User information
From wakefield, ma.,usa
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1 Need some help on my 49 Super Deluxe I just purchased. The car was a nonrunning but very solid car which I since got running with some fuel work and still have to jump a wire from battery to starter solenoid. Anyway, it now runs quite smoothly but smokes quite a bit probably from sitting for 4-6 years. I got a brake pedal after bleeding the master but after driving for 3 days lost brakes completely. Questions: How hard is it to do rings on the 356 without pulling the motor? (I'm an old Ford tech but admittedly don't know 'it' from Shinola about 49 flathead Packards) Is there a dual cylinder master cylinder kit anywhere for a small peice of mind and not a huge peice of
pocketbook? Thanks for your patience and advice.

Posted on: Today 16:16:16

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 23 series issues: brakes and smoke
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Did a ring/valve job on my '50 356 with the engine in the car. Couldn't fully remove the #8 piston as it hit the firewall but the mechanic was able to replace the rings anyway. Leaning over those super fat fenders is a PIA but it's all do-able.

My brake system was gone through, new seals installed, and converted to DOT 5 a few weeks before I bought the car. Stops fine, have had one (low speed) emergency stop and it screeched to a satisfying halt. I feel sure someone will recommend some possible solutions if you want to alter your existing brake system.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I feel sure someone will recommend some possible solutions if you want to alter your existing brake system.

I already did on his other post with the same questions...

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I would drive it around for a few hundred miles and see if the smoke diminishes before getting drastic with putting in rings. My '47 smoked quite badly after I bought it. It had been driven less than 1000 miles in the previous 50 years. I rmoved the head and the bores appeared unscored so just left it and drove it and it burns very little oil now.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
49packsuper wrote:.......Need some help on my 49 Super Deluxe I just purchased.......

G'day 49packsuper,
to PackardInfo, there are plenty of knowledgeable, experienced and friendly Packard people here will will assist you. And thanks for re-creating your questions in a separate post, helps keep things "on-track" for all concerned.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 2:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I'm in agreement about just running it. Drive it around for a while, slowly get it used to going faster then take it on a 15-20 mile short trip at 55 MPH or higher, you may find that the smoke stops, if not, then you know what to do.

Posted on: 2009/10/22 9:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

49packsuper
See User information
Thank you all very much for the responses. This forum has been a huge help finding info for my Packard. The brake issues are just about solved. I still need to replace the junction block but everything else is rebuilt and ready to go. Again, thanks to all who helped out!

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved