Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 194

tsherry, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Why are there two different lower bell housings?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I was sorting through some parts today and realized I've never known or read why there are two different lower bell housings. One is solid and the other has a hole, covered by a removable sheet metal cover on the bottom held in place by two screws. WIGO?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Why are there two different lower bell housings?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've only seen at most maybe 5 or 6 bellhousings. Never knew that any were solid. Maybe 55's or GH or Hash are solid and 56 Packard has removeable plate???? I have no idea. The solid bellhousing is news to me.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Same here. Never seen a solid one. Does it have a drain hole?

EDIT: Think the early 55 might have had a solid cover. The picture in the repro 55 engine training manual is poor quality but almost looks that way. There is a separate lower hsng part number for 55 and 56. Don't know of any other difference so wondering if that might be it--although the inspection plate is listed for 55-6.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 22:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've seen several V8 lower flywheel covers and they all had an access hole to allow draining the converter. Perhaps the standard trans lower cover is solid?? Parts book lists only a 55 lower cover and a 56 lower cover.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 23:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I supposed pictures of what you have are in order Jack!

Posted on: 2009/12/4 23:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Snowing lightly and temps in the single digits out in the garage just now. Maybe pix tomorrow.

However, I've got at least two of the solid lower housings. Since I've also got three or four manual transmissions from '56 Golden Hawks, maybe they were a manual-only version. That's why you Packard guys haven't ever seen them.

Yes, there is a 1/4" drilled hole in the center bottom to drain.

Question - what is the difference between the '55 and the '56 lower bellhousing?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/12/5 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All 55s came with solid bell housing bottoms. I guess the mechanics complained enough that they put the access plate on for 56. Perhaps some late 55s had the plate, but I have never seen one. I usually take a holesaw and cut a 1" hole using the existing 1/4" hole as a pilot. Then it is no problem to drain the convertor, once you find the plug.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 23:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I get what you are saying now. The the lower bell housing cover has a separate smaller plate or cover for draining the converter?

On the '54 Gear-Start you have to remove the entire lower bell housing cover to get at the converter.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 14:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
yeah, the 56s have a sheet metal cover on the lower part of the bellhousing. it allows you easy acess to the converter drains and ring gear for baring the engine

Posted on: 2009/12/6 16:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If anyone needs one of those little metal bottom covers, I seem to have ended up with a fistful of them in my parts bin. Free for postage.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 19:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved