Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packard Wives: Nature or Nurture?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My wife is supportive. She replaced all my off-shore cheapo tools with their Craftsman/Craftsman Professional versions. Also she is always asking when I am going to get "that thing" running.

The weather here has finally turned. So know it's time to get back in the garage. 50 degrees and pouring rain. That is "parka" weather here in So. Cal.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 14:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Don't know about anyone else, my experience is that there are few females that appreciate a fine example of automotive engineering. To most, a car is just a car, no matter what year, manufacturer, or condition it is in. Unless the female herself has chosen it, of course it must be "cute", and nevermind that it might just be the worst piece of junk on the road since the last Vega or Pacer gave up the ghost.....

Posted on: 2009/12/7 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Don't know about anyone else, my experience is that there are few females that appreciate a fine example of automotive engineering. To most, a car is just a car, no matter what year, manufacturer, or condition it is in. Unless the female herself has chosen it, of course it must be "cute", and nevermind that it might just be the worst piece of junk on the road since the last Vega or Pacer gave up the ghost....

That's a familiar feeling in my house as well. It might be time I find a new one, it's been three years now and no change. If I could find one that has a welder and a larger garage I'd be ahead of the game. Oh, and one that loves Italian and can cook it would be a plus. 25-35 only, please...

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mine has been supportive recently also. See we remodeled her parents kitchen at their second home in Indiana and also did a lot of updating in our home.

Like others stated here at least I am not down at the local pub.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:45
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Can only speak for my situation. If its what I want to do to keep me happy or busy my wife supports the money and time I spend on any of my hobbies or interests. I try and do the same for her interests. As on of my old friends use to say if shes (your wife) not happy you won't be happy.
At least when I'm involved with cars or car events which I attend with brothers or freinds she knows where and what I'm up to.
As a little addition when Randy calls about going to a cruise and gets my wife he always asks if I am allowed to come and play.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I have never been married, but have been dating the same gal for 10 years. For her 50th 25th birthday, which is this week, she asked for a Packard! So, she is now the proud owner of a 1938 club coupe 1601. The car needs a bit of sorting out after sitting since 2001: brakes, cooling system, flush fuel system, etc. But the car is extremely solid and was very well cared for by a Boeing engineer up in Seattle. She is completely thrilled, I think.

I signed her up for PackardInfo, so she should be putting the car in the owner's registry soon (hint to Mal: no need to harass me, or more importantly, her :) ).

Edit: If it really is her 25th, then I would be a fairly creepy guy dating a 15 year old. And I'm not, so let's say that she is 32.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:10
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would like to find an older car for my wife to have. She is a fan of the smaller old cars. Like Nash Metropolitans and some of the FIat 500s and cars of that size. But she wants one with an automatic. When means mid 50's or higher. Also most of those original "Compact" cars did not have an option of Automatic transmissions. Especially the European makes where even today Automatic transmissions are kind of looked down on in respect to a car with "Gears" as my UK family calls a manual transmission.

I would like to find a road worthy Packard 110, 115, 120 Pre-War Coupe at some point when the finances allow it. I have always liked that body style.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
They say when you choose a wife, first look at her mom (at least my dad told me that). In the case of cars it's look at her dad and their relationship. Did he have her as his helper when he was working on the car, buliding a deck, wiring the basement? If so, she is more likely to appreciate and take interest in our projects. I got lucky. My wife grew up helping her dad do the routine maintenance on his cars back in the 60's and early 70's. When we were dating she went with me to junk yards and swap meets looking for parts. She even kicked in $100 to help me buy my first Packard.

So now it's pass it forward. My daughters have helped me work on my two Packards as well as our modern cars. We also go to club events, cruise nights and car shows as a family. If they pick a car guy as a husband, he shouldn't get too much grief.

Hey, there are worse vices. I bet Tiger wife wouldn't have taken a 5 iron to him if were tinkering with an old car

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Like others my wife, Kath, is broadly supportive of my obsession interest in Packards. One of things she finds it difficult is the time frames taken to fix, mend and repair things. For instance with the Coupe, when asked how long before it was back on the road, it was "a couple of months", well this went on, and on, for 13 & 1/2 months. In the end it became a standing joke but familiar I'm sure to many involved in this game.

Quote:
34PackardRoadsta wrote:......I signed her up for PackardInfo, so she should be putting the car in the owner's registry soon (hint to Mal: no need to harass me, or more importantly, her :) )......
Tom,

Me harass? Contrary to a somewhat jaundiced view by some I never harass, only cajole, nudge, request, invite, hint or ask for the Registry entry.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I would like to find an older car for my wife to have. She is a fan of the smaller old cars. Like Nash Metropolitans and some of the FIat 500s and cars of that size. But she wants one with an automatic. When means mid 50's or higher. Also most of those original "Compact" cars did not have an option of Automatic transmissions. Especially the European makes where even today Automatic transmissions are kind of looked down on in respect to a car with "Gears" as my UK family calls a manual transmission.

I would like to find a road worthy Packard 110, 115, 120 Pre-War Coupe at some point when the finances allow it. I have always liked that body style.

Check into Pontiac Fieros 85 to 88 (stay away from the 84s)

Attach file:

jpg  (97.86 KB)
551_4b1d79cd1f2f1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:55
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved