Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 237

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Considering a 48 custom eight that needs work - advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
So I'm considering purchasing this 48 Custom eight that's sat for 30+ years. As you can see, it needs a total re-do.

I'm "new" to Packards (never having owned one, but have thought about it awhile), but not new to car restoration. This thing looks like I could sink $15-20K into it, easy and I'm unsure if the project is worth it.

What are people's opinions about buying a project like this vs. searching for either an original in really good shape, or one like this that's low dollar (for a Custom) but needs all this work?

I welcome any/all advice.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.41 KB)
2024_4b2892a1b3394.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (16.10 KB)
2024_4b2892f8c1556.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (13.74 KB)
2024_4b2893054e0c3.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (10.57 KB)
2024_4b28931614c50.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (15.99 KB)
2024_4b2893290dbee.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (15.07 KB)
2024_4b2893399b255.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2009/12/16 2:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Considering a 48 custom eight that needs work - advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi, and welcome. Is the engine frozen in this vehicle? Either way, if the owner is asking four figures for this car, that person is nuts. It looks to me as if this one would require a total frame off. 20K would probably be a conservative guesstimate.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Hi, The $15-20K would only get you an engine rebuild and paint job. This car needs everthing plus what I cant see!!! The floors, rockers and trunk probably need replacing. Doing the interior as original is very expensive also. If you have a restoration/body shop and lots of time & dollars go for it. I bought and parted out a 48 custom which had a good interior but body was too far gone to justify restoring, it was Michigan car. Good luck

Posted on: 2009/12/16 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The key questions are, does it have:
1. Rust
2. Collision damage
3. Missing parts

If the answers to all 3 of these is "none" then it might be worth considering, but only if you do a lot of the work yourself. If you have to pay people to do paint, mechanical work, rewiring, upholstery, etc. then I think you would save money by hunting for a really nice car. I speak from sad experience.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you are looking at spending hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars this is the car for you. To restore the interior, alone, will cost you something north of $5k. However, you can probably save yourself the time and effort, and buy a nice 22nd or 23rd series Custom for around $20k. Just think, you could be enjoying the pleasures of a Packard during the time it will take to restore this one. One of the members has a nice 21st series Custom Clipper that might be for sale. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 11:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Sad to see such a great Packard in such deplorable condition. My 1947 Custom parts car is in about the same condition so heed the advice and buy a decent one that doesn't need this level of restoration and save yourself a lot of money and possibly grief. Heck for the cost of engine rebuild and paint I will sell you my 47 Super.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 11:34

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tis indeed a shame to see the condition of that car, the 22nd series Custom 8 was in the opinion of many the last real luxury Packard. You could easily spend $10K just on the interior and even then it wouldn't match the quality of the original as you can no longer source the shadow cloth and equivalent Mosstread. I hate to say it but the best use for that car is probably as an organ donor.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks all for your comments and the welcome, I appreciate it and my gut feeling was exactly what you all confirmed.

The "sad experience" which some of you mention (of having gone through a restoration before and having spent too much $) is something I've just done on a newer, albeit 'vintage' Plymouth Valiant from 1960, a MUCH less expensive car than this. Though from experience now, I'm glad I'm asking the question before I get my heart set on the wrong project. It's truly amazing how much a car costs to put back together (let alone, if that car is a Packard), when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it.

I think I'll hold off on this one for now and search for a 48 or 49 22nd series Custom in better shape.

That makes me ask another question: so if I'm looking for a Custom 8 these years and this series that's in great condition, though not show condition (great original or partially restored), what could I expect to spend? My wish (in order of priority) are: 1) custom 8 convertible (got a good idea of what these cost), 2) custom 8 coupe (not so sure on these), and 3) custom 8 sedan (seems to range).

I welcome people's advice.

Thanks much all!

Evan

Posted on: 2009/12/16 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with all the above. You can get a drivable, decent looking 22nd/23rd series Custom for far less than it would take to restore this car. Personally, I'd like to see all remaining 22nd/23rd series Customs restored to their original splendor but it just isn't practical.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You didn't say what the guy wanted for the car, but if it's a reasonable price, I'd recommend buying it as a parts car for when you do find a good one. There's a lot of parts that are specific to the Custom Eight that are quite expensive to purchase one at a time. That, and a spare engine and trans is nice to have as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 16:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved