Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 model 626 4dr
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I am starting work on this car and will have lots of questions.
Heater connections:Can someone send me the proper routing of heater hose from the water pump to heater. Car has an after market vintage heater. Believe the water pump lead should go to a metal tube on water pump side of motor to rear of motor then a hose up to the top tube of the heater.
Top rain gutter/trim that holds top material on. Will have to replace fabric top and some wood. Trim piece appears to have a fabric rope pressed into it to cover attaching nails. Who supplies that "rope"? What is the correct top material?
Shocks: Have read other posts about shock oil, fork oil etc. On my early Fords we use modern 90wt. What was the original consistancy for Packard shock oil?
Temp gauge: mine is dead, fluid/either may have leaked out. Who rebuilds these?
Fan Belt: car had modern belt too narrow. I put a link belt on which works fine. There was not enough space to remove the modern belt between front pulley and rad and had to cut belt to get it out. Would you have to disconnect rad to put the proper belt on?

Location: I am near Knoxville TN, anyone around here that has experience on 626 Packards I can talk to?

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/12/18 15:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 1929 model 626 4dr
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jim,
First I'd like to you to PackardInfo. Second, a lot of questions there, unfortunately I'm not equipped to answer them but I'm sure others will, so don't be shy jump in guys and help Jim out. And third and last, could you please include your '29 626 in the Packard Owner's Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/12/18 15:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't help you with all your questions, but can with some.

The heater core couldn't care less which way the water went thru, inlet from the pump and outlet back to the radiator outlet nipple on the engine block below the water jacket is typical. These were generally installed by dealers, so there was lots of variation in the details.

Top material was often called "colonial grain" and is available from Restoration Supply and Restoration Specialties among others. The long-grain material was a perfect match for my 34, may or may not be for yours - ask for samples to compare.

Shock absorber fluid is SAE10W hydraulic fluid, Mobil DTE 24, also available in 20W if they tend to seep. Many folks also use plain of jack oil, but SAE90 is MUCH MUCH to viscous.

Check Hemmings Motor News, there is an old timer (and I do mean old!) that rebuilds the liquid-filled temperature units. You can do it yourself if you're really ambitious but I recommend you use a pro. Pick up a Hemmings at the local Newsstand, or let us know if you want us to find the contact info for you.

I'd suggest you go thru The Packard Club's directory to locate members near you with 626 or the nearly identical 633 models - they are reasonably plentiful so I think you should be able to find one within a reasonable distance, or if not establish a phone/email relationship with an owner who is mechanically inclined and willing to be helpful.

Nifty little car, the 626. Best of luck with it, and please try to keep it authentic!! Buy the owner's manual reprint which has most of the basic service information in it, and get a parts book as well and copies of the factory service letters. Some of this information you'll find on this site for free download, if you want hardcopy go to The Packard Club site (www.packardclub.org) and you can purchase reprints from their on-line store. You can also buy copies from most of the national Packard vendors like Kanter, Max Merritt, etc.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 15:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Check Hemmings Motor News, there is an old timer (and I do mean old!) that rebuilds the liquid-filled temperature units. You can do it yourself if you're really ambitious but I recommend you use a pro. Pick up a Hemmings at the local Newsstand, or let us know if you want us to find the contact info for you.
Owen,
I would be interested if you are aware of anyone that sells them.

Jim,
For your top material you can also check here. This is where I purchase mine from. Lebaron Bonney

Posted on: 2009/12/18 15:52
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
For your temp unit, Bruce Abbott of Abbott Instrument Restoration (503) 246-1287 can help you. He does great work, but leadtime is long but his quality. His work is so good, he doesn't have to advertize.

The fan belt can be removed by unloosening the water pump. The water pump is on a concentric which will allow the belt to unloosen when you turn it to the left. Turn it to the right to tighten up he belt. I'm assuming that your is like my 32 903. If not, disregard this info.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 16:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, Abbott Instrument has a fine reputation. Also worth considering are (1) Williamson's Instruments, 479-369-2551 in Arkansas, (2) John Wolf & Co., 440-942-0083 in Ohio. amd (3) Roy Martin, "the temperature gauge guy", 802-862-6374 in Vermont.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 16:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Mal,
Do not have any history yet but will take picture and post to owners listing soon.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
The water pump on a 626 is on the left side of the engine and does adjust the fanbelt, problem is that there is not enough clearance between the bottom of the rad and front pullem for a thick belt to pass even turned sideways. The linkbelt thing should work fine. Thanks, Jim

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Thanks to all who replied and yes, I will keep it authentic. It is original enough to show with no rats nest of wires, odd plumbing or other modern Mods and I sure aim to keep it that way.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved