Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 223

DavidPackard, R H, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cleaning a headliner & upholstery repair
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
What would you guys suggest I do to clean this orig headliner? Is the seat cover tear reapairable? Do they make this cloth anymore so I can repair the arm rests?

Attach file:

jpg  (29.25 KB)
2054_4b30a3d39d3df.jpg 760X570 px

jpg  (41.03 KB)
2054_4b30a3e678c58.jpg 760X570 px

jpg  (37.42 KB)
2054_4b30a3fe25f82.jpg 760X570 px

jpg  (51.44 KB)
2054_4b30a411e6faf.jpg 760X570 px

Posted on: 2009/12/22 5:48
 Top  Print   

Re: cleaning a headliner & upholstery repair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
What did you think of the responses to your Original Post?

Posted on: 2009/12/22 6:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Holy crap! Sorry. I posted that in so many forums and got no reply, I never saw the responses here when I checked back in. You guys are the best!

Posted on: 2009/12/22 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Would suggest you sew up the seat and armrest and replace the seat covers.

They never dreamed the original upholstery would last this long. But being covered by seat covers will preserve it.

The armrests can be recovered too. I don't know if you can get the original material but some blue gray velour would look authentic, like the old mohair, and wears like iron.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A good upholsterer or tailor can do invisible reweaving and you will never see the tears. But you will need to cover the seats and armrests or they will wear thru again.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as the "lasting power" of good wool upholstery, lots of examples of it still looking very good and still serving well after 75 or more years without being covered with seat covers. But I guess it had to have had a lucky life, no moths, cuts, tears, food-fights, water leaks, etc. I redid the front seat cushions in my 34 Eight after 75,000 miles and 40 years or so because of a cut, but the material didn't show much wear and was still strong and the rest of the interior except front carpeting is still original.

As far as finding some houndstooth material to repair your arm rest, I think you have a good chance of finding something quite close if not the same. Hirsch, SMS, and LeBaron-Bonney come to mind. A friend here in NJ had his 47 Super Clipper redone a few years back and found a synthetic houndstooth in gray/blue that was virtually indistinguishable from the original material. This was just modern material not made specifically for the car hobby, so shopping around may yield better results than you might suppose.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 11:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I recently got a sample from SMS trying to match the blue stripped broad cloth pattern on my 54. Then sent me a sample in grey where they had that matched the pattern perfectly, but was grey instead of blue. In the letter they sent with the sample they said they do a custom run in which ever color I wanted. So SMS has the resources if one is willing to pay for them.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 12:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I found that SMS has the perfect match for the upholstery in my 47 Super Clipper which I believed was the same as in the junior models although somewhat different than the cloth on the armrest of your car. It was quite expensive and I opted to reupholster in a modern fabric which was much less expensive. If you send them a swatch of cloth which has been protected from sunlight they will probably have exactly what you want.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 13:59

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved