Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Removing Hub from Axle on my '51- Assistance Please!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I've been at it for hours, trying to get the passenger side hub off. Yesterday with what I'd say was 'maximum effort' I got d/side hub off, but this other side is something else!!

Using the puller I made out of hefty angle and a couple of hi tensile bolts I eventually got d/side hub popped, but applying major pressure together with some serious tapping (as per the illustration 'Using Puller J-4153' in the manual) has got me nowhere today....

I noticed the well-dressed Packard Mechanic featured in the Manual doesn't seem peturbed! Maybe he used Karate on his.

There was slight rust in the side I got off but really not enough to be the key factor in holding it tight.

I'm reluctant to use heat, but should I?

Also reluctant to keep bashing the hub with a 3lb and drift, (although past experience with ball-joint removal is dictating my actions).

BTW, this is only my second post so still finding my way around packardinfo.com .

Posted on: 2009/12/30 3:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Hub from Axle on my '51- Assistance Please!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Larry,

Perseverence is what it will take. Just keep doing what you're doing. Although on Wade's '37 Super 8 had to end up using heat to get off the left side. That, plus a lot of "persuasion", and using a heavy duty brake drum puller from one of the PACA guys.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.99 KB)
226_4b3b119c01ad0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/12/30 3:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Mal, it's nice to know that I'm on the right track, and that others have had the need to use that MASSIVE puller in your pic!

I feel much better now . . . will have another go at it tomorrow.

Seems my 'economy' 2-bolt puller is failing to give enough purchase so I'll get some 3/4 steel plate and make a 5-bolt version. I've got 5 x hi tensile bolts at the ready.

Interesting that amongst my bits and pieces is an example of a totally failed attempt at removing a hub. The axle is adorned with a destroyed brake drum (centre only) / backing plate / catcher etc and bearing. Whoever failed at separating the hub has destroyed the drum to get in and remove the axle.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 4:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
They grow together over the years. They are supposed to be on there tight but after 50 years they can be really tight.

The best puller and a lot of force will usually shift them. Heat won't hurt either.

Sometimes you have to leave it under tension and give it a bash every day. Be careful, a real tight one can let go all of a sudden and fly across the shop with a lot of force.

I like to turn the axle nut backwards and thread it on flush with the end of the axle, this prevents mushrooming the axle or damaging the threads.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 4:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I hope that giving it a bash doesn't mean to hit the end of the puller transmitting that force to the axle. You should only hit the puller so as to continually tighten it. You could damage the block in the center of the spiders by hitting the puller in a direct line with the axle. Patience is the key word here and never grease or oil the tapered part of the axle when reassembling it. Good luck and much patience.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Larry51,
Most of the pullers that I have seen are 3 bolt setups.
I have also hear mechanics say that leaving the pressure on overnight helps it break loose (as long as you protect it from hitting something if it slides off -- or worse, flys off!)

I am sure there are more stories among the members here, (including heat recommendations). None I have heard so far tell of this as an easy process. The mechanic in the picture was probably not working on a 59 year old axle.

Happy Packarding,
DanL

Posted on: 2009/12/30 11:20
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Larry51, I suggest you check with your local tool and equipment rental store to see if they have an axle/hub puller. Much easier than fabricating one yourself. Nothing like having the right tool. Good luck.

(o {} o)

Posted on: 2009/12/30 11:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Larry,

This is the pulley I use. Make sure you leave the axle nut on, but loose, so when it "pops" it doesn't come off flying. Also make sure the shoes are retracted. If there is a ridge worn on the inside of the drum, then the shoes could be catching on it.

This style puller allows you to keep hammering on the "dog" bone to tighten it. The blows both tighten the puller bolt, but also give the drum a little jarring motion to help break it free.

I have this entire procedure covered in my project blog also.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.96 KB)
1_4b3bac51ca99b.jpg 765X768 px

Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Nice puller but you are going to need a bigger hammer. A 3 pound sledge should do the trick.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 19:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rusty, actually it worked just fine. Thats a 2lb deadblow. Each drum came off without to much effort.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 20:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved