Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 distributer drive shaft replacement
Just popping in
Just popping in

ccj206
See User information
I need instructions as to correct replacement of the distributer drive shaft ( in the engine head not in the distributer itself). Please email any printed info you may have. Do I have to remove the oil pan and oil pump? I did not take the engine apart and did not put together but the shaft if not in the right position. HELP thanks Chet

Posted on: 2009/12/31 15:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 distributer drive shaft replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chet,
to PackardInfo. Sorry, don't have an answer for you but a question instead. Have you had a look in the Packard Literature and Manuals section here on the Site? Your answer probably is in there but if not I'm sure the knowledgeable, friendly Packard people here can assist. And a request, could you please include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No need to remove anything. Just drop it in the hole, you may have rotate it a bit so the square end drops into the socket in the oil pump.

The slots at the top that engage the dogs on the distributor shaft base are just slightly off-center so the distributor will only mount one way. If the timing is off you may need to lift and rotate the shaft to a new position.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:08
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ccj206
See User information
So after I remove the distributer I should be able to pull up on the drive shaft and reposition it to get the rotor to point to the correct space for #1 cylinder? I tried to pull up on the shaft ( just with my fingers) and it did not move. Will try tomarrow with a bit more force. If this is not right please tell me. I dont want to brake amything. thanks for your advice. Chet

Posted on: 2009/12/31 19:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably just a residue of old, crusty oil holding it in the socket. Be gentle but use some force, should come right out. If you want to avoid having to reestablish the timing (which is still easy but a bit complicated with the NorthEast dual coil, dual point and dual-ended rotor), take careful note of the position of the shaft head before you remove it. As I said, the slot is just SLIGHTLY off-center. It can install in 4 positions but it will make life easier if you reinstall the same as it came out.

Just curious, why are you removing it?

Posted on: 2009/12/31 19:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ccj206
See User information
It was not installed correctly by the person who rebuilt the engine and I want to get the engine running before I put the front fenders on the car. When the crankshaft in in the correct position to fire #1 cylinder, the rotor does not point to #1 on the cap. Hope this makes sense. Will try to remove and reinstalled tomarrow and will let you know if I get it set right. thanks again Chet

Posted on: 2009/12/31 19:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK Chet, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the 33-34 dual coil system so pardon me if I am going into unnecessary detail; I've been thru this quite a few times so let me know if you need more help. Its probably easier done over the phone, send me a PM with your # if you wish,

Don't forget its not just getting the rotor under #1 wire when piston #1 is at TDC on compression, it's that the correct rotor end is under #1 wire. That is, you have to see which set of points had just opened or is on the verge of opening, that set of points will lead you to determine which coil will fire, and then that coil will tell you which end of the rotor is the "hot" end at that moment. Sounds complicated but it's not.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 20:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

ccj206
See User information
I believe I can do the rest. The stationary points will fire # 1 cylinder and I can figure out the rest. If I run in problems I will be in contact with you. Will try to private email you my phone number. Will let you know who I make out. thanks. You have been a great help. Chet

Posted on: 2009/12/31 20:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved