Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carburettors on 1948 22nd Series Export Six Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Has anyone any experience of using a different carb. to the usual Carter on 22/23rd Series ?

My car was originally fitted with a Carter (WA1-530S) but the first restorer of the car had difficulty obtaining spares when in South Africa at that time and he replaced it with a FoMoCo which is apparently from a six cyl.1968 F250 truck.

He says that quote "the problem with the Carter was that it had a throttle start which was not quite right and would engage going up hill on full throttle - the FoMoCo one was better too in that the dia. matched the manifold size and gave better m.p.g and more power too" - apparently the Carter self start device is electrical so that must be the reason that there is no choke cable in evidence ?

The FoMoCo unit is still fitted and starts and works well enough but there will come a time when it will need parts and to date no one I've spoken with knows anything about it or where I might find a refurb. kit - there is a little tag on the FoMoCo unit which has C5TF G B 5JD stamped into it.
(Any ideas anyone ?)

I'm no expert on carbs. so any views and/or comments on the above would be very welcome.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.40 KB)
1329_4b4200f2dcb03.jpg 845X634 px

Posted on: 2010/1/4 9:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Carburettors on 1948 22nd Series Export Six Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
how is the starter engaged now? The original had a button under the gas pedal which disengaged on engine vacuum, I believe

Posted on: 2010/1/4 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know much about Ford carbs but doing a search for the C5TF G this comes up & says it was used on Fords within the year you saidhttp://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/kits/CK013.htm Has a lot of kits and some info. Didn't see anything closer to you or if dealing with Canadian site would be any easier. If that is not the right one, then appears there are many to choose from and am sure they could help select the proper kit.

Another good source of kits is Daytona partshttp://daytonaparts.com/. Kits for the original Carter are available should you decided to go back. The accelerator switch problem is just a matter of adjustment in most cases--although if taken apart and improperly reassembled will also cause the issue.. Various early Motors manuals have the procedure for repair and adjustment. Can help you out with that info if needed..

Posted on: 2010/1/4 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi bkazmer

There is no button under the gas pedal which I assume once was there and operated the electric auto choke ?

Now there is a standard gas pedal and that is the only link to the carb. - there is no choke cable or hole in the firewall for same.

There is a key switch for the starter.

Thanks for the reply

Michael

Posted on: 2010/1/5 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks HH56

I'll certainly look up the FoMoCo site.

The Carter site I'll bear in mind in case of revision to a Carter.

I see africapackard (Barrie) has an Australian Stromberg carb.on his Straight Eight so I'm not the only one with a strange carb. on my 22nd Series.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/1/5 11:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont think there was an actual button under the accelerator pedal. Rather when the pedal was pressed all the way down the throttle linkage activated a electrical switch on the carburetor that engaged the starter. When the engine started, the engine vacuum moved a metal ball inside the switch that broke the circuit and disengaged the starter.

If the starter was re-engaging while the motor was running then either the metal ball inside the switch is sticking, or their is a vacuum leak near the switch.

As far as the choke, the carter carburator used a bi-metal spring that adjusted the choke in response to temperature. The spring is contained inside that black "Climate Control" knob that is familiar on the side of most Carters of the period.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 17:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good explanation, Kev. Same system used by Buick and perhaps others.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi

Finally decided to stick with the FoMoCo carb. and have now located a re-furb. kit for same over here in the UK (Rodley Motors in Bradford Yorkshire) Odd as it may seem the make is a Carter Zip.Kit #2.5579.902-761A made by Carter Automotive Div. St Louis Missouri.

I'll let you all know the result when I have it fitted.

Meanwhile here is progress photo of my car today.

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (95.22 KB)
1329_4b8ebeb47a7d4.jpg 951X714 px

Posted on: 2010/3/3 14:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Aah, looking good Michael! now you can start putting trim back on. I remember the days, months, years I spent doing that.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The starter switch on Packard carburetors has a ball and plunger in side the switch. The plunger has a cutout on the end where the ball is located. If this cutout or notch is not installed in the correct position the starter will engage when the accelerator pedal is floorboarded. To correct this problem take the plunger out and turn 180 degrees and reinstall and the problem should be fixed.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 22:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved