Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Identifying 1939 Super 8 Limo
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have to disagree with your comment at least as it relates to the local engine rebuilder here, he align-hones the main saddles routinely on nearly everything that passes thru the shop. Most of these engines are V8s, and not Packards. Ditto for other shops I'm familiar with.

Maybe its a New Jersey thing.

PS maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, it' the step(insert bearing engines) to resize the main bearing bores back to round and correct ID, and with a common centerline.

Again, we're off topic. Maybe someone should start a thread on engine rebuilding.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Perhaps it is a New Jersey thing, none the less that is work to the highest standard and is to be commended. I highly doubt Packard would have even recommended this procedure. Align honing is normally associated with a block that has been determined to have an alignment issue beyond acceptable limits, or high-performance applications.

The moral of the story here is to heed West's advice and closely inspect these engines for issues of this nature.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The shop I was most thinking of is run by a bunch of old-time German brothers and does indeed do a lot of performance engines for the hot rod crowd.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
O-D
Well, it sounds like you have an outstanding machine shop in the area. I bet align honing a 9 bearing straight 8 is no simple task.

Bill,
Do you have an update for us? Even if the body work was not performed by a noted coach builder, it is a very interesting car. By now, you have some idea of the up's and down's of this particular year / model. I have a fairly good handle on who has what spares for it. I hope this might be priced fair, and something you are able to obtain and enjoy. Let us (myself and others here) know if you have any other questions.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
Packard Progress Report
Well there has been a lot of good advice and comment in the 25 replies from the forum post. I am also tending towards a New York Body Shop or Coach Builder. The reason I say that is the radio has green windows to the left and right of the tuning and volume knobs. From the picture I can just about read "WOR: and "WSJ" and "WNN" printed and these were NY radio stations of the era.
The comments about the difficulty obtaining parts for a '39 Super 8 vs. a '40 is a great concern and thanks for advising about this. But also, Thanks for the comments about seeing this as a very interesting car. I really agree with one comment about liking the "V" windshield vs. the typical Rollson flat windshield.
I have convinced myself that it is not a Rollson, and was convinced of that when I went to look at the car. But one can dream.
To answer a recent post inquiry. I need to make a decision by the end of the week and get into negotiations and buy it or not. I could convince myself that a eventually a "39 Super 8 parts car will also become available at a very reasonable price. If I get the car, I can see that this forum is will be wealth of knowledge.
Any Comments on the radio??? See attached Pix
Bill Wurts

Attach file:

jpg  (77.65 KB)
2157_4b58f2a391b76.jpg 1280X603 px

Posted on: 2010/1/21 19:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bill Wurts
See User information
Well Guys thanks for your help.
Looks like the '39 is on its way to Connecticut.

After it arrives will be a series of posts like Does anyone have a horn rim for the banjo wheel. West Peterson had one a while back.

I will put the car in owners registry after it is here.

Thanks Again

Bill

Posted on: 2010/1/25 0:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Congratulations Bill!

As for the Banjo Horn Ring, John Ulrich has new reproduction examples available for $200.00 He can be reached at 510-223-9587

Best of fun with your new acquisition,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/1/25 0:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Bill Wurts wrote:......Looks like the '39 is on its way to Connecticut. After it arrives will be a series of posts.....Bill
Bill,

My congratulations too. Looks a very interesting car, and certainly generated plenty of interest here. If you're willing a Project Blog of the restoration process including plenty of pic's would be great.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 2:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Congratulations!

Posted on: 2010/1/25 6:26
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Bill
Yes. The horn ring that I showed (with horn button) is still available. The chrome needs to be replated and the plastic around the horn button needs to be replaced. The price is $150. The steering wheel is still available, also.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.31 KB)
404_4b5db8888c5ad.jpg 360X319 px

Posted on: 2010/1/25 10:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved