Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question for Mal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I noticed in one of the pictures of the red convertible you postedhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/6490.jpg there is a bumper sticker warning of left hand steering. Is that a requirement in Australia or just something the owner did?

Posted on: 2010/1/17 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Question for Mal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

At one time it was a requirement for LHD vehicles to display such a sign/notice if they could be registered for use in our RHD environment! In the State I live in, New South Wales, it was just about impossible to register LHD vehicles. Accordingly, if they weren't converted to RHD for which there was a mini-industry operating, they were often registered in a state which did allow LHD vehicles. For New South Wales residents this was often the Australian Capital Territory which, because it is the seat of government in Australia, permitted foreign embassies resident there to register their LHD vehicles without conversion to RHD. I believe it was more widespread than just foreign officials but you probably had to go through the hoops to register your vehicle in LHD format. Peter Packard(Peter Toet) being a long term Canberra resident in the A.C.T. can correct me if I've run off the rails about this as it's anecdotal. I think South Australia also permitted LHD, but would also require further confirmation on this.

Current requirements, in most states I believe and certainly here in New South Wales, are much more liberal permitting originally equipped LHD vehicles to now be registered and driven as such. But some people will still convert their vehicles to RHD.

As an aside, the guy I bought my '38 from used to deliver LHD vehicles to the US embassey in Canberra and return them to Sydney when no longer required. The story goes that because they were exempt from Customs Duty when originally imported instead of the duty being paid at the end of their Embassey duties they were loaded aboard a barge, taken out to deep water and ended their days as visitors to Davy Jones' Locker

Attach file:

jpg  (40.66 KB)
226_4b53b632b74ab.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/1/17 20:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The story goes that because they were exempt from Customs Duty when originally imported instead of the duty being paid at the end of their Embassey duties they were loaded aboard a barge, taken out to deep water and ended their days as visitors to Davy Jones' Locker

Oh, what a depressing thought--but I guess there could be some truth to it. The experimental Chrysler Turbine cars met a terrible fate here so as not to pay duty and other fees so why not a bunch of ordinary used cars there too. Had heard stories of our military doing similar things with planes and jeeps to avoid shipping and to keep them out of circulation when no longer needed so guess it's universal. Thanks for the history of the sticker.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Especially Mal, Mal is on the money with his comments about registering LHD cars in OZ. They were very, very difficult to register in the past 50 years, especially after 1972 when Australia went to ADR's (Australian Design Rules) To the extent that seat belts in a LHD had to be converted to ADR Certified seatbelts ( Like US seatbelts don't save lives but ADR certified seatbelts do!). South Australia was very hard on registration of LHD, as an illustrative point, my 56 Patrician (LHD with 35k miles from new ) sat in a backyard from 1985 to mid 1990's because it could not be registered. It went to Sydney and was converted to RHD( please don't ask for a comment on the conversion!). It is now very easy to get an over 30 Year Old LHD vehicle registered or Permitted for "Antique" Club use. There have been new restrictions imposed recently however and it is again very difficult to register late model imported LHD and RHD vehicles. This is supposedly to protect our local auto industry. Australia brings over one million cars and trucks onto the roads every year and probable only 250,000 are manufactured locally. The topic is a very interesting one and probably closely follows the US experience of importing other countries products, as part of a free trade deal, except that it puts our own workers out of a job. Depends on the testicle size of our politicians, I suppose. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2010/1/18 2:56
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Might be some hope for those Packards in Davy Jones' Locker

Bugatti story from SMH.com.au Site

Attach file:

jpg  (27.90 KB)
226_4b5bb8d5963fb.jpg 420X279 px

Posted on: 2010/1/23 22:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
25 Bugatti Brescia Type 22 Roadster - some water damage

Some water damage indeed--but a very dry sense of humor to make up for it.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I saw a segment on "Top Gear" (I believe) where they were talking about the hazards of LH drive trucks from the Continent driving on GB roads designed for RH drive. The hazard is passing a LH drive truck on the RH side. Passing on the RH side is normal practice in GB. It seems autos are in the blind spot of the truck for a good part of the passing sequence because the drivers are on the opposite side being passed. Also,truck drivers from the Continent are not used to being passed on the RH side. When the unawares truck driver makes a RH turn there is a collision into the auto. They advised their auto drivers to look at the registration plate and if it is not GB, then to proceed with caution when passing. This has become a real problem since the opening of the "Chunnel" between England and France where vehicle traffic from other countries has greatly increased on both sides, especially truck traffic from the Continent.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 13:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved