Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 41

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'53 Cavalier Headlight switch replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi all! The rheostat on my headlight switch broke and I don't have dash lights anymore. I obviously have to replace it (it turns VERY freely and doesn't do anything). Can anyone give me a procedure for removing this item before I get to digging around under the dash? Thanks!
Scott

Posted on: 2010/1/30 13:04
 Top  Print   

Re: '53 Cavalier Headlight switch replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an exploded view of the switch. From what you describe it sounds like the piece of black bakelite (top row, right side) that isolates and engages the shaft to the rheostat wiper has broken.

To remove the switch, loosen the allen screw holding the knob and remove knob. Packard then calls for a special wrench. Packards was probably something similar to 55-6 that slipped over shaft with tangs instead of a hex. Making one, is essentially just a piece of metal with two tabs at 90 degrees spaced so they engage the two rectangular notches on either side of shaft to loosen the bezel. IF CAREFUL, you can use a small punch or screwdriver and gently tap CCW to loosen but as you can see from the picture, someone was not and damaged the notches--very easily done if bezel is tight. A slip would also scratch severely so you have to decide your options-a punch or try making a tool.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.23 KB)
209_4b647df0ed1f4.jpg 800X400 px

Posted on: 2010/1/30 13:44
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
54 and prior didnt use the Hex style retainer bezel nut used in 55/56, but rather a bezel nut that is slotted on either side of hole. You use a small screwdriver on one side to work the nut around in the appropriate direction to tighten or loosen using a gentle tapping action.

But they do sell a tool that has a hollow interior to slip over the switch shaft, and engages the two slots. This makes things easier.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 19:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
54 and prior didnt use the Hex style retainer bezel nut used in 55/56, but rather a bezel nut that is slotted on either side of hole. You use a small screwdriver on one side to work the nut around in the appropriate direction to tighten or loosen using a gentle tapping action.

But they do sell a tool that has a hollow interior to slip over the switch shaft, and engages the two slots. This makes things easier.

I've had success using a pair of snap ring pliers with the 90 deg ends

Posted on: 2010/1/30 19:10
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks guys! Guess I know what I'll be doing next week! Is $25 for a used switch a pretty good price? I only know of one vehicle around here I can get parts from. I'm hoping the switch in that one isn't buggered....

Posted on: 2010/1/30 20:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think $25 is more than a fair price for a good used switch. Just a knob could run between $15 and $25.

Posted on: 2010/1/30 21:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved