Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 226

Ross, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

electric fuel pump rebuild parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi All! Does anyone out there know where I can get a rebuild kit for an electric fuel pump? I looked on the net and didn't get too much info. Sometimes having a six volt system really sucks! Unfortunately, my fuel pump no longer does.... It gave up the ghost last night leaving me and my pal stranded on the side of the road. I'm pretty sure all I need is a new diaphram. Thanks again!

Scottie

Posted on: 2010/2/14 19:49
 Top  Print   

Re: electric fuel pump rebuild parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Had you eliminated the mechanical pump?

No direct experience myself, but those I know who have an electric pump fail just trash them and buy new ones.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 19:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As O_D says, it is usually just easier to replace as most are a sealed type unit. If however, you have a type that can be opened and is one of these Google brings up then maybe there is hope.http://www.google.com/products?q=electric+fuel+pump+rebuild&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=CqF4S4P2HIHsswPk2szKCA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB0QrQQwAw

Posted on: 2010/2/14 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
The mechanical pump has been bypassed completely (this was done before I purchased my car). The electric pump is not a sealed type. It is separable. Having trouble figuring out who made it though. There is a circle a little larger than a nickel with the letters "AC" in the center embossed into the side of the housing. Any ideas? BTW, thanks for the Google link.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 21:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like an AC delco pump.

They mechanical pumps are pretty easy to rebuild for about $50 in parts.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 21:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
the mechanical pumps are easy to rebuild, you can get a kit made of the freshest stock, that doesn't mind what forulation "gas" is these days from the antique auto parts cellar, AKA then-now automotive. Good guys, good products.
You'll get at least 10 trouble-free years of reliable fuel delivery this way, and the mechanical pump won't mind if the car sits for a while.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 22:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If one of those little $60-80 electric pumps is to be used as the only fuel pump, the chances are quite good that a properly rebuilt mechanical pump will outlast it by a wide margin. Here in NJ we normally don't have more than a half-dozen summer days of 95 degrees or higher so despite the fact that today's gasoline has a higher propensity for vapor lock, I've never seen the need for one but if I lived where temperatures like that are much more common, I might have one as a pusher mounted back near the tank. Another use for an electric as an adjunct is for quicker starting for cars which tend to have extended idle storage time though I don't mind the few extra seconds of cranking time, it has the advantage of building oil pressure before the engine starts. Those are my views, others will differ.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
today's gasoline has a higher propensity for vapor lock

Owen, My car will vapor lock after it's been idling a long time stuck in traffic. It seems to keep running OK until the traffic lets up and you are trying to accelerate up to highway speeds again. The engine cuts out but will catch again after a short distance.

You know I hate to add or change anything. Is there anything you know of short of installing an electric fuel pump? I have already had the mechanical pump rebuilt and it works perfectly. All the insulators are in place as well as the heat shield for the pump.

Don't you just love environmental progress?

Posted on: 2010/2/15 12:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bob, there are loads of guys with the answers, clothes pins on the fuel line, wrapping the fuel lines in aluminum foil or some other stuff, adding diesel to the gasoline - I think most if not all of that is bunk, but who knows. Adding a bit of diesel may offer a bit of relief in borderline siutations, but to get enough in to work sure makes your car a smoke-pot.

The point I think to keep in mind is that fuel under pressure (as between the pump and carburetor, assuming a properly functioning pump valves and needle & seat) has a higher boiling point. And fuel under suction, as in the fuel line from the tank to the pump, has a lower boiling point. The carburetor itself has either a vent or an anti-percolator valve so the fuel in it is just at simple atmospheric pressure. If I knew the pump valves and needle and seat were OK, the heat shields were in place, and I'd checked the line from the tank to make sure it was well away for the exhaust and muffler, and the problem persisted (hot climate, high altitude are exaggerating circumstances) then I'd probably succomb to installing an electric pusher pump for occasional use.

Just wait a bit, the corn lobby is pushing hard for 15% ethanol, and since lobbys get their way, it's likely to happen before long.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A poster who has a 34 Super 8 Roadster described, on this site, his fuel delivery system that has mechanical and electric fuel pumps. One feature was a fuel return line. It would take about 20% of the fuel pumped to the carburetor and route it back to the tank. This circulation is supposed to have cured any vapor lock problems with the car while still providing sufficient fuel flow and pressure.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved