Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 188

37Blanche, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

driving law
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Subject: Important Driving Law--Not a Joke

I checked and in PA there is an $85. fine for this. You can check out the sites below including the short video.

Important Law to Share:

My friend was driving on the highway. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. My friend slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled her over and gave her a ticket. She told the office that she had never heard of the law.
It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.
The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance. Please let
everyone you know that drives about this new law.
It is true (see details at the following web addresses). It says that, except two states, all the other US states (even Canada) enacted similar kind of law.

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

Posted on: 2010/3/3 18:08
 Top  Print   

Re: driving law
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Randy, I know for a fact that Ontario has a very similar law as does Michigan. A friend of mine ws stopped by a State Police officer along I-75 in Michigan and warned but not ticketed. It is a good practice when passing any vehicle stopped along a road side if people are present not just police officers.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The law isn't really all that new. It's been around for at least 5 years or more. The one thing I question, though, is the steep $750 fine. Is that true?

Posted on: 2010/3/4 10:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have always made it a practice to move over a lane or give the stopped car (regardless of purpose) a wide clearance. I am the guy who always signals his turns. I am the guy who tends to drive at the speed limit. I am the guy who when passing a vehicle moves back over to the right lane only after seeing the front of the passed vehicle in my rear view mirror (after signaling both actions). I am also the guy who always turns on his headlights with I turn on the windshield wipers. We don't need more laws just better driver education.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/4 11:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
The law isn't really all that new. It's been around for at least 5 years or more. The one thing I question, though, is the steep $750 fine. Is that true?

No, according to Snopes.com it isn't. See link in original post.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 11:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Better education, but how about some personal responsibility as well.

We've had a fine like this in nc for years. Last year I think they added the points as well.

I'm out here on the highways 13 hours a day, and I greatly appreciate drivers like ol jw here. But they're becoming few and far between. Drivers manners are disappearing at an alarming rate. I opt for an iq test to be part it the exam process.

To drive is a privilege, not a right.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 11:55
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Oregon has had this law for a couple of years now. We've had a few Troopers & local police killed on traffic stops from people side swiping cars that have been pulled over.

The fine is steep, but the loss of life has been terrible.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0IXxzBBKS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k0IXxzBBKS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Luckily this Officer survived with minor injury.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
In South Dakota a law was passed in about 2008. Changing lanes and slowing down is required for any emergency vehicle or police car that is pulled over with its flashers on.

The above video is a frightening example of WHY!

DanL

Posted on: 2010/3/4 13:05
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The same law exists here in Tn as of about 3 to maybe no more than 5 years ago. HOWEVER, it was almost exhaustively advertised on tv and other media during 2006 and 2007 that i remeber.

THere is a problem tho. More often than not the traffic is so heavy that it is often impossible to move into the left lane.

IF the state and municipal leaders were serious about traffic safety then there would be designated safety areas added to the side of the interstate like a mini-rest stop to accomodate minor traffic violation interception.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 17:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I was surprised when this was signed into law here maybe 2 or three years ago, because honestly i thought it allready was the law. That video has been around forever and it isa very clear reminder of what can happen. Ive had to work along roadways before and its no fun.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 17:57
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved