Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

BigKev, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ZIS waterfall
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

Does anyone know if the ZIS waterfall grill insert was diecast chrome plated like the US cars or was it plastic?

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/3/4 19:58
 Top  Print   

Re: ZIS waterfall
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
I'm not completely sure, but the deluxe models were chromed. The others were painted. Makes me believe they were or some kind if metal.

Guscha would be more of an expert here.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 22:36
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
yesterdaysradio wrote: Hello, Does anyone know if the ZIS waterfall grill insert was diecast chrome plated like the US cars or was it plastic? Jerry
Quote:
Guscha wrote: Jerry, it escaped my memory which kind of metal but the radiator mask was made of metal. What makes you think that it could be plastic? BTW I never heard before waterfall associated with the so-called tombstone design but it sounds appropriate. On second thought, if I didn't know better, I'd say it is a sinister omen to call the radiator waterfall. Well, tombstone is not an awful lot better.

Gerd,

I know you're not backward in coming forward but this time you're way too far forward. You'll need to come back inside the ZIS as I believe Jerry is referring to the radio grill. And because of it's style it's referred to as a "Waterfall grill". In this age of acronyms, abbreviations and allusions it's often hard to keep up with terminology. Now go to it! Hit us with some ZIS radio grill pic's please.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 3:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Ozstaman,

Sorry that I led everyone astray. You got is right.I am refereing to the radio grill. A gentleman bought a 1941 ZIS in Florida. He said he thought that it was original. The radio grill was like the 1941 Senior Packard. His grill insert was plastic. He ask me if I made the grill insert pictured on page 3 of my catalog. Goto www.yesterdaysradio.com to view to waterfall. It is part number DP11S. I do not make the metal grill insert, only the outer plastic shall.

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/3/5 8:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The waterfall in the 2 ZIS's I've examined are plastic. See photo taken here in NJ just before this car was shipped off to Sweden.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.58 KB)
177_4b913e22ed5f6.jpg 1024X694 px

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
looks like the 41-42 Junior plastic

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Owen,

The photo is of a junior waterfall. I do make that, it is plastic. The piece in question is the senior waterfall. The gentleman claims the his chrome insert is plastic. Was the senior ZIS dash all Plastic?

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jerry, I defer any opinions about originality to Gusha and the other ZIS owners, all I really know is what I observed, be it right or wrong.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Guscha is right on the USSR plastic, I mean the plastic details and knobs from the 1940s-1960s are thous things that get destroyed at the first place. The problem is that the engineers at that time thought that using vinegar acid(one of the components!) is a good thing and it was cheap and available at that time. If the plastic details decay they leave a funny odor in to the interiore.
The wheels cover starts to crack and the plastic kind of starts to bend between the metal wheel. It seems that the cause to the hole process is UV light and humidity. The ZIS plastic material for the wheel and other items is also used on ZIM,Pobeda, GAZ 21 Volga and also Moskvich cars from the 50s and 60s.

I can only tell that what I have seen and heard from experts, here where I am.

I havent seen any NOS plastic parts exept wheels for Volga,ZIM and Pobeda cars bun no ZIS wheels ore plastic details. Im not sure they made plastic things for ZIS cars as spare parts at that time? Any comments guys,on this one?

And Welcome Jerry to the forum,

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/6 11:26
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved