Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel pump rebuilding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
hoenshellg wrote: I will certainly try to register. Im not too good with technology.......
All you can do is try, we appreciate the effort.

This FAQ - Add your Packard to the Owners Registry may be of assistance.

Posted on: 2010/4/3 16:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I rebuilt the fuel pump with the kit you guys suggested and now when I install it it sucks the gasket in and it starts to leak fuel. The gasket it sucks in is between the sediment bowl and the inlet valves and outlet valve. Any ideas why it would do that. I took the pump back apart and the gasket looks fine. I did not use any sealer because the instructions said not to. I have talked to a couple mechanics and they said that it might be working too hard getting gas from the tank. I tried it with the gas cap off and still did the same thing. They also told me to horseshoe the vacuum side of the pump so it would not be creating any vacuum for the wipers and such any ideas would be helpful thanks,

Posted on: 2010/4/12 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are the gasket surfaces flat and seating well? Is the inlet valve installed correctly or freely opening. Assuming all else installed correctly, the only thing I could see happening is gas is not free to enter the pump or diaphragm chamber and it is trying to pull from somewhere else. Sometimes the short rubber hose between steel line and pump deteriorates to the point where the inside collapses and no gas can flow thru. Must say though, I've never seen a pump with that much strength to be able to pull a gasket.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 9:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I made sure each flat surface was true with a piece of emery cloth. I put some torque on the screws that go between the sediment bowl and the upper part of the pump. That was my next thought was the fuel line if it was getting sucked closed so that nothing was going through. i have not replaced that yet.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 9:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Just a curiousity, is it possible that there could be a pin hole or fissure in the diaghram that is being sucked together? Then as a weak spot it doesn't release so it continues to pull more fuel? Mine leaked from that same place and the engine would die. I was told that it was being forced out there likely from the above details. Keep in mind I have no idea how true that is, it is just what I was told. And I replaced my pump.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 12:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hoenshellg
See User information
I guess there could be a pin hole but i did not see one. Last night I tried to suck gas out of a can and not the tank so that eliminated the fuel line as being the problem. It has to be something in the pump. One guy i talked to said that maybe the screws that sandwich that lower gasket may be bottoming out. that would make sense since I have taken a few thousandths off of both sides of each casting that would make the gasket a little thin. This could be my problem.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:.....could you please include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how he acquired it?
for including your '52 300 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved