Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Parts Cross Reference
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Getting the '53 Caribbean ready for the tour season. Shake down cruise last weekend revealed the need for a new headlight (might as well replace both). Is there a cross reference part number to something NAPA or Autozone mught carry?

While I am at it, is there a source for the glass and ceramic fuel filter as the silver cannisted type is an afront to my sensibilties

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts Cross Reference
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the bulb is a standard 7" round 6v you can probably just ask for at Napa. Think the number might have been posted earlier on site and a search might find it.

Here is a possibility from Restoration Supply www.RestorationStuff.com on the filter if you are willing to use a paper element instead of the ceramic.

Don't know for sure if Cadillac used same type as there is no picture on their site but if so, McVeys advertises the complete assys and might be the real ceramic.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.52 KB)
209_4bc4ff92c1694.jpg 486X109 px

Posted on: 2010/4/13 18:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tractor supply stores still sell those ceramic elements. Also many times when the element needs to be replaced, so does the bowl gasket.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Thanks for the leads guys.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin - you are so right about the rubber gaskets in those filter assemblies, and I recommend that anyone using one who ever intends to tour or drive far from home buy an extra and put it in the glove box. Between heat and gasoline those gaskets get VERY brittle over time, and if you're on the road and decide you need to drop the bowl and clean it, the chance is excellent that the gasket will not be suitable for re-use and you're not going to find one along the Interstate. Been there!

Posted on: 2010/4/13 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Heed Owens warning about carrying an extra gasket. I carry 3hree extras. Mine are hand cut from cork gasket material about the same thickness as the rubber oem gasket.

Kev mentioned TSC for the filter element. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out THursday. Also, HH56 came up with a modern retro fit element that was discussed here back in 06 0r 07.

Posted on: 2010/4/13 20:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Dezi, in addition, I would like to draw your attention to the Packard Parts Cross Reference Database. A link to the Parts-X-Reference you will find conveniently situated in the main menu left hand side. It is open to search and to add own finds.
I already searched for a new headlight but without success.

Please disregard my sidenote if you've known that for ages.

Thanks Guscha. I did check there first.

Heed Owens warning about carrying an extra gasket. I carry 3hree extras. Mine are hand cut from cork gasket material about the same thickness as the rubber oem gasket.

PackardV8 - I will heed O-D's advise/warning and make this part of my emergency kit for the car.

Thanks All

Posted on: 2010/4/14 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I bought a new ceramic element and gasket for the short style Carter glass bowl fuel filter from Gerald E. Koch, 6727 Country View Lane, San Antonio, TX 78240-2704, hondo37@aol.com. Price was $13.95 for the element and $3.00 for the gasket plus $4.90 S&H. They are advertised for the early Chrysler Hemi 354-392 engines. The parts can be purchased separately. I believe the gasket will fit either the short or long style bowl. Following my own advice, I'll post in the Parts X-Ref section.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
A few weeks ago I was hunting for those same pieces for the fuel filter. I did go to my local tractor supply store and I bought the gasket which came with a new filtering screen, and the bowl (as I had clumsily dropped mine). The Ford tractor type fit my fixture and element perfectly and my grand total was a whopping $8.00.
I never thought of carrying extras but I see the point and will be picking a couple extras up. Thanks for the idea, so glad I came across this thread.

Posted on: 2010/4/19 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Amanda, we would all appreciate it if you would post this information in the Parts X-ref section. Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/19 11:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved