Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

resto mod now, retore later?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Not to be beaten too much, just kicking around the idea of finding a suitable frame / drivetrain to make my '28 526 a driver likely years before I can do it properly. I will keep the original and rebuild as time/money allows. rebuild on the motor alone looks to be close to $10,000. I can find 2 or 3 supercab ford rangers (preliminary research, same wheelbase) for the same money. Six body bolts, could I not at some time in the future, abandon the ford and reunite the Packard pieces?

I CAN'T wait to get behind the wheel of the Packard!! (of course, I know, it would be a ford in all practical sense, but you get the idea!)

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:16
 Top  Print   

Re: resto mod now, retore later?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you bought a 51-54 300 or 400 chassis and power train it would be a decent fit for your 526. The WB on the 51-54 seniors is 127". The 526 is 126". Pretty darn close and it would be all Packard. The questions is wether a 51-54 8 cyl motor would fit in the space of a 1926 6 cyl motor. 51-54s are pretty plentiful at cheap prices. Even cheaper with a bad body. You could even find a postwar Packard 6 cyl motor to put on that chassis.

Just brainstorming here.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Ray- with enough money you van do anything.

Following Kevin's lead, I'd also go with a early 50's frame. The width would be a little of an issue maybe. But you could have the frame pinched. A 288ci/ standard with the stock rear would be more than enough. Due to a possible spacing issue between the cowl and stone guard, I'd just leave the hood off. Put glasspacks on it. The ifs will make it handle a bit better, but leave it all stock height. Find some steel artillery wheels and wrap them with big and littles. No white walls. Leave the fenders on. Retain as much of the interior style as possible. Find a visor.

Just scheming here...but what ever you do, pack away all those original parts.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 14:46
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Carrying BigKev and FatMike's ideas one *logical* step further, how about a 1956 400 Torsion-Level frame (127in WB), 374CID V-8 and Twin Ultramatic tranny? That would blow the minds of all those Ford and Chevy guys with stock V-8s and even air-ride!

I happen to have a suitable donor, but unfortunately PA is pretty far from NV. To do the same thing, I was looking at a 1938 2dr Business Couple in Las Vegas, but it went for too much $ on eBay.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
The idea is to retain as much stock appearance as possible..., only ya'll should be able to tell the difference if I do it right. I basically have a year or so to really decide, as I am rebuilding the body before I take it off, (which will be done regardless of which way I go). My goal is to make it a reliable driver, not a mantle piece. 15 miles a year is absolutely out of the question, I want more like 1500+

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/4/22 17:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Although it sounds simple it's still a really big job with lots to consider before you even attempt it.

Kev's suggestion of a later Packard frame may have some merit but I seriously doubt the later 8 would fit your engine compartment so a 6 or the TL V8 should be a better fit.

Your tapemeasure will be an invaluable tool to research such a concept. Things such as:

- engine length,
- engine bay length,
- location of engine in Ford frame, ie how far it is set back from a reference point such as the front axle,
- track width,
- steering wheel location, again from a reference point, and also in relation to your seat position,
- IFS - will it clear the front fenders which slope up from the frame?
- 12V instead of 6V

come readily to mind, and there are many, many others.

Finding a rolling, running frame you can just drop your body onto sounds like a dream, and it's probably just that - a dream. As Mike said - with enough money you can do anything but, from your post, one of the considerations is money so it may be just as easy to restore your 526 in the first place.

Nevertheless, if you do find a frame to fit, I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 18:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
Money, well yes and no. For the wife, a resounding yes, for me..., not so much. Money just slows the process down, not stops it. I mainly want a car that I can jump into and go to the market, and the like. If I need to drive 100 miles or so in a given day, so be it. I also want to do the level of restoration that is required only once, (at least with this car), so I want to do it properly, and as my inner two year old is screaming, I WANT IT NOW!

Thanks for the thoughts, like I said, toying with the idea, so keep the cold water coming!

Ray,

Posted on: 2010/4/22 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
This is a tempting idea but it never works out. Visit some hot rod shows and you will see a few cars where this has been done. The result always looks like hell, and you have to butcher the car beyond repair to get the body to fit.

You don't even save much money. I know it looks like you can just throw your body on a junkyard frame but it's not that simple.

Your cheapest and quickest out would be to sell your car and buy one already finished. If it is not a show winner, the price will be cheaper than you could restore your car and less work to boot.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 20:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I hate to say it but rusty is 100 percent right on this one, i have a half dissembled 56 clipper in the back yard i worked on for about six months and a shiny 56 came on ebay for 9k and i knew i could not finnish the other for the same $ so i have this awesome parts car (my private junk yard ) and my inner 2 year old got it now !!! i bought a plymouth for 14k and by the time i was finished with the front end paint gas tank brakes ac custom dash and sound system i am in it for around 35 k the car probably would sell on ebay for around 20k so buy the best you can and just tweak it if money is an issue. been there and have the t shirt.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 20:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved