Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 120 Head gasket Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Thanks,

I think I replaced some of the studs a number of years back. I can check to see if any bottom out on the top side of the head.

Gene

Posted on: 2010/5/10 10:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There could be a crack in the block also.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 11:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Water distribution tube?

Posted on: 2010/5/10 12:08
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Greetings All,

Thanks for all the ideas and info. I did get the head gasket replaced, new hardened washers, cleaned the threads on the studs and nuts with a tap and dye so everything would torque right. I did put a straight edge on the top of the block and did not see any warpage to speak of.

I did a compression test and found that I still have no compression in cylinder #2. Is it possible that the valves are so far out of adjustment that a cylinder would have no compression?

This one is truly puzzling.

Thanks
Gene

Posted on: 2010/6/3 9:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's nearly impossible that NO compression (meaning zero) in #2 could be the result of valve misadjustment, or even a crack in the block or head or a leaking gasket. Do you really mean NONE? If none of the valve heads (exhaust especially) looked burned, then I'd beging to think in terms of a valve with a bent head or stem. This could be the result of running an engine, even for one revolution, with insufficient clearance for the valves to open before contacting the head. Another consequence of this can be that you'll wear a cam lobe and that can happen VERY fast. Even extremely worn rings would still give some compression.

Whenever a cylinder head is off and the prior history of engine condition is unknown, it's a good time to pull a few valves, especially exhaust, and check the condition of the seats and valve faces. Any single one being suspect would be reason to do a valve grind. I didn't read back thru all this thread but did you happen to check these things?

I'd suggest finding and correcting the source of the no compression first, then verify that there is enough clearance for the valves to open w/o contacting the head, and then tackle the overheating, somewhere in this site is a long list of candidate things to check - I know someone will find that source and reference it for you.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 9:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you check the head itself for flatness?

I wonder if you may have a valve stuck open. Easy way to check would be to remove the valve cover and hank crank the motor and see if there is smooth action the valves on the affected cylinder. Also you have the head off, you can also hand crank the engine to and check the action from the top side.

I remember someone posting about have a "dead" cylinder only to discover that the piston was wedged in the bore, but the connecting rod was totally missing. So everything looked ok until he cranked and realized one piston was not moving.

Never know what strange things could have been done by previous folks.

Posted on: 2010/6/3 10:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eugene Wescott
See User information
Hi,

I replaced the valves a year or so ago and yesterday went in and adjusted them with the car running to the required specs. The #2 valves all seemed to be moving up and down with the rest.

Still no compression. Is it possible that the piston rings may have failed and all the compression is blowing by them?

I've run out of ideas.

Thanks
Gene

Posted on: 2010/7/19 6:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved