Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: authentic (looking?) battery 1954 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think an Optima can match the lead acid in some things but in others, I believe they do have an advantage. Here is one distributors propaganda page as to what some are.http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html Not a totally valid comparison I know, but I seem to have had better luck with longevity over lead acid in my mostly sit there unused car.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Optima batteries use sulfuric acid in some kind of gel. Which is the basic operation of a lead acid battery.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 10:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56, thanks for the link, I browsed it and feel a bit better informed. I see about 20% less cold cranking amps that with the lead/acid battery I use which typically gives me 6-7 years of service, so I guess for the moment I'll stick with the large NAPA 7212 for my 6-volt car, and when the 12-volt requires replacement in the Carib, I'll take another look at the situation. A lot of that choice depends on how much you want authentic appearance; close to $300 for an Optima in a Group 60 Willard case galls me when a Group 63 from Interstate is less than $100, and a rattle can of semigloss back makes it look reasonably correct.

Choices, choices. At least we have them.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 10:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you going to use an Optima as your main starter battery, then use a red-top optima. I have had bad luck with the yellow-top one breaking down pretty quickly when used as the starter battery. The yellow top work great as a deep-cycle constant draw battery. But I think it the heavy draw of amps for the starting process that kills the yellow-top ones over time.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 16:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved