Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Dash Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I have a couple of the thin plastic peices that are part of my waterfall radio speaker grill broken off ('41 120). I have the peices, but can't find anythig that does a good job bonding to the material. Too early to be plastic and both model glue and contact cement seem not to work.

Has anotone out there had luck with a bonding agent for repair of these peices?

Posted on: 2010/5/24 15:07
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Dash Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Not recently. Have you tried cleaning thoroughly and using Super Glue. I prefer the gel kind.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 15:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you checked with Jerry as Yesterdays Radio? I believe he was reproducing much of the Pre-War dash plastic.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 15:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Too early to be plastic

Not the case, plastics were in use for quite a few years before this, though they were rather primitive formulations compared to today's materials; they were probably tenite or perhaps a bakelite. Plastics predate World War I and saw a bit of use in cars in the several years prior to World War II.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Yesterday's Radio does reproduce these, but at $700 a pop I thought I would try to fix mine first. I don't really show the car much and it is a driver.

My Packard guy out here tells me these were made of some sort of product based on soy been material. Sounds nuts to me, but I actually have no idea. They do tend to shrink and disintegrate over time, so whatever it was, it was not extremely stable.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 19:34
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
For cocktail conversation... the plastic on the dash of the '41 Packard is Tenite.

Quote:

Per Wikipedia:
"Tenite is a cellulosic thermoplastic first created in 1929 for use in the manufacture of consumer goods. It is manufactured by Eastman Chemicals, using softwood as a raw material.

Unfortunately, I have no clue as to what solvent/glue would be appropriate for this miracle material. You should see the ashtray on my '41... looks like it's been baked, compressed, stretched, sand blasted and then smacked with a big stick.

Maybe you could ask Eastman Chemicals... believe it or not, they are apparently still manufacturing Tenite.

Link to Eastman Chemicals

Posted on: 2010/5/24 22:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the problem is not really "what's a good glue for Tenite", because these parts are degraded irreversibly by now. The stabilizers, UV additives , etc weren't too great back then, and in fairness it was 69 years ago.
Because of the degradation/cross-linking, it's going to be hard to come up with a solvent glue. Cyanoacrylate (superglue types) are possible. I think epoxy type or other thermosetting adhesive is a better shot. I have used Bondo-type body filler. If you are hoping to not paint, use sparingly. Also consider that anything you use on the backside will not be visible installed. Depending on the damage that may give you extra options

Posted on: 2010/5/25 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Tenite - isn't that what used to do Superman in?

Part of my problem is probably the gluing surface - it mates up pretty good, but it is very small- just either end of these little spokes. There is room to work from the back, but little clearance when it all goes back together. Some kind of really strong bonding tape would work pretty well. I am hoping not to paint as everything matches nicely right now.

I think epoxy is probably the next item to try.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 10:57
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved