Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 200

37Blanche, Eugene Wescott, 58survivor, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Re: Packard factory performance parts
Just popping in
Just popping in

xp_coupe
See User information
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this site. I only joined yesterday after seeing it advertised in Hemmings.

Can anybody tell me if there is such a thing as factory performance parts for 51-54 Packards, especially multiple carb setups for the straight 8? If so where can I find info on such things and/or buy them if they exist?

Many Thanks,
xp_coupe.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No factory performance parts in the traditional sense of the phrase, though some folks have replaced the 2-bbl intake manifold with a 4-bbl from a later year. All the performance parts that are advertised are after-market.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Edmunds, many years ago, manufactured intake manifolds for S8 Packard engines featuring multiple carbs. They occasionally turn up on eBay, but be prepared to pay for them. There is one vendor, Empire Motors, who may be able to supply one but I believe you'd best check them out before getting too excited. There is a thread on Site here about Empire but I can't find it. Otherwise, swap meets may be your best hope. And if you find one please let us know. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2010/6/2 3:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day again,

Misplaced my manners, forgot to you to PackardInfo. Also didn't realise you were a fellow Aussie until I came back to correct my oversight!

Begs a question, are you a member of PACA(Packard Automobile Club of Australia)? If not, seeing you're interested in Packards, I invite you to join. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward your details to our membership secretary, DavidM, who's also a PackardInfo member.

The 2010 Packard National Rally is coming your way, well close by at Kangaroo Island, from 27th September to 1st October, preceeded by the Bay to Birdwood on 26th September! If nothing else stop by and say G'day and see in the vicinity of 40 Packards.

From your Forum name looks like you have a Falcon XP Coupe, but if by chance you have a Packard, or even better Packards, could you please include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/2 5:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

xp_coupe
See User information
Morning All,

Yes Ozstatman I'm a fellow Aussie. And yes I own an XP Falcon Coupe (Futura), as well as several other cars. My father and I own a '52 Packard 200 Sedan that was imported into Australia brand new, therefore factory right hand drive.

At the moment I'm in Chicago as I've been in the Mid-West (Missouri, Iowa, Illinois) on business and holiday, but I fly home tomorrow. So I will try to post details of the car as soon as I can when I get home.

I am a member of the American GM Drivers Club SA back home, but have also considered joining the PACA so I will forward you details, again when I return home.

My email address is: xp_coupe@telstra.com

Cheers,
xp_coupe.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 10:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
There has been a Edmunds 2X2 on ebay for ever keeps coming up over and over. The price is $950 so that might have something to do with it. But they are still out there.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Every time I see them online, they seem to be priced around $900. I wish I would have bought the one someone was selling on this site last year. Something like $500, with a carb! Snooze, ya loose.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 21:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
I know its not the same but they do make a slingshot that should bolt up to and run 2x2 on a stock manifold.

http://www.vintagespeed.com/

I got an adapter from vintagespeed that will bolt to my packard v8 intake to let me run 3 97s. Ends up being the same cfm as the stock carb and a I know is going to be a pain to tune but it will look good till I get the dual quad intake.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You may have to do what they did in the old days, make your own.

It is possible to take your old intake and weld on flanges for 2, 3 or more carbs. "Split" the exhaust manifold by welding on a second exhaust pipe flange. Mill the head for more compression. Have the stock cam reground for more lift. And "shave" the flywheel for whippier acceleration.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Multiple carbs may look cool, but guarantee they will be much trouble with lines, linkage, tuning and won't outrun the single 4-bbl.

If I were building a hot I8, I'd grind the casting flash off the 4-bbl intake, build a set of tube headers and have both gloss black porcelain/ceramic coated. Classic!

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/10 10:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved