Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

53 Cavalier, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

BTV blues...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
I've recently rebuilt my BTV but have now found I have the same problem of fluid leaking back into the power unit. The piston didn't look too bad but I guess it must be worn so I am getting a new one from Kanter. The seal kit I used was from Max and when I replaced the outer seal the one supplied was a different style with a hollow rear and seemed inferior to the original see pics original is on the right.
My question is does anyone know where I can get this seal on it's own preferably the old style or maybe has one lying around which I can buy. Failing this I will have to buy another whole kit for 1 seal as I want to replace this again with the new piston.
I think I could tear one of these down blindfolded now....

Stressed in Stockton....

Attach file:

jpg  (81.65 KB)
379_4c10fc81259e4.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (74.31 KB)
379_4c10fc9b05ff1.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2010/6/10 9:55
 Top  Print   

Re: BTV blues...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Sorry I think the pictures have came out blank... don't know why...

Posted on: 2010/6/10 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
When I click on the pictures, I can see them.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 10:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hey, I can to... thanx

Posted on: 2010/6/10 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I can likewise see the pictures.

Keep in mind with your BTV that Packard used at least 4 and possibly 5 different models between 1952 and 1956. I'm not well-versed in the differences but it wouldn't surprise me that parts contained in a "unversal, one size fits all" kit wouldn't match the OEM parts in exact physical form. Also premature seal failure usually results from a galled or otherwise less-than-ideal piston; repro pistons in stainless steel are available from Kanter's, I believe.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 11:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi Owen,
The seal hasn't failed on close inspection the piston is worn so I'm getting a new one. I just thought it would be best to replace the seal again and wondered if they were available on their own without buying another kit or if somebody happened to have one.
Cheers,
Dave.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
best to replace the seal again and wondered if they were available on their own without buying another kit or if somebody happened to have one.

You should be able to take either one to a good bearing house (not your standard parts house) and they should be able to either match the part exactly or cross the number over to a replacement.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bob1951 gives good advice on finding the seal at a bearing supply house. What is the number on the seal in the picture???

Also, take a look at the MC end of the POWER UNIT. Is there a seal there to keep vacuum INSIDE of the power unit or is vacuum exposed to the MC seals?????

Posted on: 2010/6/10 16:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The outer seal is to keep the vacuum side away from the fluid side, threfore the lip of the outer seal must face forward. Also Dave, be sure that the passage between the two seals that is supposed to let any escaping fluid back into the reservoir is not blocked. It may be necesary to snip away a bit of the reservoir cover gasket to insure this pasage can let the fluid back.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to the manual or some other reliable source i read that the passage is to allow fluid from the reservoir to seep INTO the seal to allow for lubrication of the seal.

edit: It mite have been stated in Motors Manual.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 21:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved