Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 Packard (New owner) (can't keep engine running)
Just popping in
Just popping in

50Pack
See User information
Hello, I am a new first time Packard owner of a 1950 23rd series with a 288. I have been having trouble keeping my car running. I pour gas down the carburetor and it runs for about 5 seconds then dies. The fuel pump has been rebuilt recently and gas is getting up to the carburetor. Should I put a 6 volt electric fuel pump in the car or is there a way to get it to idle without pouring gas down the carb?

Thanks

Posted on: 2007/11/24 22:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard (New owner) (can't keep engine running)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Obviously since an electric fuel pump wasn't a necessity when the car was built, it's not a necessity today though some folks like them for backup. You say gas is getting to the carburetor but don't say if it's actually getting into the carburetor which, based on your description, would seem to be the problem. I'd suggest pulling the top cover off the carburetor and checking for a stuck needle and seat or other internal problem.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 0:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 50Pack,

Welcome to this forum, you'll find plenty of experienced and helpful Packard lovers here who aren't shy to share with others. Any chance of putting your '50 on the Owners Registry together with a pic and history, if known? Again, welcome.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 2:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Welcome to the forum! I agree with "Owen" that the problem seems to be with the carburetor. If you can't find information on how to dismantle or rebuild the carb if necessary help can be found here.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other possibility if you still have the original ceramic fuel filter. I went thru a similar problem where the car would do just as yours. The problem turned out the filter had accumulated a varnish deposit from sitting and gas evaporating. The fuel got to filter bowl, and guess air managed to get thru so all looked OK but there was just a trickle of gas getting past the element and not enough to keep carb filled.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 11:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

50Pack
See User information
Hey thanks for all the great advice. Before I restored mid-fifties Chevys and this is my first Packard. I will try to get some pictures of it posted. It is the original silver color from 1950 and it has Ultramtic Drive. Only one of the nozzles in the carb squirts the fuel air mixture into the throttle body, so maybe the carb does a need a rebuild. I am just so glad to finally own the car I have been looking for for 5 years. Thanks

Posted on: 2007/11/25 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Hey 50Pack, could you do me a favor? I need the measurements of the engine compartment on your car. Width is the main thing. I plan on dropping a Packard V8 in one.

Posted on: 2007/11/25 14:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Hi, I am currently having the same problem with my '50. I too can keep it running as long as I keep the flow of ether/gas to the carb. I am getting fuel from both jets, however when I removed the filter from the carb and cranked the engine, the fuel came in surges. Is this normal for a dual action pump ?
Is there a filter in the fuel pump that may be restricting flow ? This engine does not have a filter except for the inline that I put in the line under the vehicle.
(bypassed an electric pump that I don't think works anymore).
Rebuilt the carb earlier to upgrade the seals etc. Possible it is a low float level
but the flow seems suspect. Can anyone help ?

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2008/4/14 20:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a screen on the bottom of fuel pump. Look in the tech tips section for "how to rebuild a fuel pump" and there are some good pictures of it. Depending on what you call surges, the gas will come in spurts as the diaphragm only has one "push" per revolution of camshaft. It should be a fairly healthy amount--maybe third to half a cup-- and about 4-5psi.
The upper part of the dual action pump is actually a vacuum booster and not connected to gas at all.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi 50 Pack

Welcome! I am also the owner of 1950 standard 8, but with 3speed on the tree. A wonderfull car. I think the advise you got already should be very helpfull. Mine works fine but I converted to 12v negative ground and installed a 12v fuel pump. I do however have issues starting after it has sat for a week. Have to use the choke. Hope you come right and keep at it.

Turbopackman, I can also get that measurements for you if I remember! The engine bay is quite narrow and gets narrower to the front. Length should not be a problem.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 1:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved