Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Part Numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looked on the Parts XRef section, but could not find any part numbers for front brake cylinders, front brake hoses, and front wheel oil seals for a '47 Custom Clipper. Does anyone have NAPA or other part numbers for these items? Thanks.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/24 13:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Part Numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Front grease seals=National 5827
Front brake hose= FC4497,or Raybestos 454497
Front wheel cylinders= kits available or Kanter has new cylinders for about $32.00 each.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 18:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it's of any help to you, here's the OEM numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (199.53 KB)
177_4c23fbb3989f3.jpg 1042X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/6/24 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
dallas, thanks for the new numbers, I was able to find them after posting my request. I need complete wheel cylinder assemblies as the ones I have were completely frozen. I removed the pistons and seals with a wood drift and a some good hammer blows.

O_D, thanks for the parts numbers help. I have the Packard parts numbers. My father's 1941-47 Master Parts Book was recently given to me. It still has some of his notes in it. I feel he is looking over my shoulder.

Max Merritt lists cylinders, seals, and hoses but no lined shoes. Kanter has parts too. The linings I have are worn evenly and have about one-half of their material. I would like to install new brake shoes at this time. I am off today to see what I can source locally. Wish me luck.

I will post new numbers on the Parts X-Ref section.

(o{I}o)

Edit: Dave, I first misread your sheet, it is a Wagner parts list not Packard. Most helpful. Thanks. Do you have anything for lined shoes?

Posted on: 2010/6/25 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are some numbers people were kind enough to offer last year when I started gathering things for a 47.

Things got put on hold so was sidetracked in chasing them down. Maybe they will give you a starting point and you will have time to see if any of them still available.

What I did find is that Kanter is pretty much the source for complete masters. Didn't get that far on rest but it seems his wheel cylinder price is reasonable if you want bolt in & don't want to chase down adapters and/or different hoses.

Shoes, never got that far on but seem to recall some Ford truck possibilities mentioned - just can't remember if tht was for 47 or for later years.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=24404#forumpost24404

Posted on: 2010/6/25 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Shoes, never got that far on but seem to recall some Ford truck possibilities mentioned - just can't remember if tht was for 47 or for later years.

It was MANY years ago that I bought relined Raybestos- Manhattan shoes for my 1948 Custom 8 (2206), and they were marked for both Packard and some Ford truck. BUT turns out they weren't quite the same, the web was a bit thicker, just enough that the slot openings in the end of the starwheel adjuster wouldn't fit. Solution was to grind that portion of the web just a bit narrower, otherwise the fit was fine and those shoes are still on the car.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I don't know if this will help or not, but the original Wagner numbers for brake shoe exchange sets are WE-221A Front and WE-220A Rear for riveted, WEB-221A and WEB-220A for bonded.
Replacement lining sets for riveted shoes are WC221DFDC Front and WC220DFDC Rear.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BdeB, thanks. I'll note the numbers. I had a successful time at NAPA today. I was able to get all the parts except for shoes. They recommended a local clutch and brake shop. The shop will remove the bonded linings and rivet new linings on my shoes for $55 per set ($110 per axle). I'll post the NAPA numbers and prices once I have them, they were special ordered from two warehouses, and make sure they are the correct ones.

Interesting, my car has the 1 1/8" wheel cylinders and they are fastened with 5/16" cap screws.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/6/25 12:54
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
John-curious did the size of the shoes agree with the info I sent you?

Posted on: 2010/6/26 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
John-curious did the size of the shoes agree with the info I sent you?

David, my front brake shoe size is 12" x 2 1/4". NAPA did not have any lined shoes that would fit my car. I am going to have a local brake and clutch shop reline my shoes. I ordered some oil seals, flex hoses, and wheel cylinders from NAPA. I'll post the numbers when I am sure they are the correct ones.

Pulled the master cylinder today and need to get mine re-sleeved, or get a rebuilt one, or maybe score a new one. Owen_Dyneto says Kanter has new ones. I'll check on Monday.

Thanks for the parts cross referece spread sheet. It would be valuable to others here if you want to share with them too.

(O{I}O)

Posted on: 2010/6/26 16:46
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved