Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 53 cavalier
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I'm curious as to the "special order" features on your car. I noticed that she doesn't have a spotlight. I'm lucky enough to have found one that really doesn't need a re-paint. I'd be more than happy to bs about our Cavaliers! If you feel more comfortable with PM's, I'm alright with that. Congratulations on owning a roadworthy Packard! By the way, I've found all of about 12-15 of our vehicles that are still on the road (Here in the U.S.) Someone, please tell us different! Welcome to the club,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/7/17 1:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
By the way, I've seen several Patrician's of the same year that had the 288 ci engine instead of the 327. I often wonder if the Cavalier wasn't a better buy! I look forward to more communication.

Scott

Posted on: 2010/7/17 1:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you've reached that conclusion by looking at the cast number on the cylinder head, most likely they only had a 288 head, not an entire 288 engine though of course that's possible also. Lots of cylinder head swaping went on over the years, but especially on the 1954 359 engine. The engine# will tell for sure if it was just a head swap or an entire engine replacement.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 6:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

leaded53
See User information
so what parts interchange as far as sheet metal like fenders and such, are door the same on say a 400 series fit a 300 series and what years did or would

Posted on: 2010/7/17 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
All 51-54 front fenders fit if you move around the trim holes. Front doors exchange all 4-dr sedans 53-54, and rear doors are all the same 51-53 on the 127" wheelbase cars like yours. You can even install 54, 55, or 56 rear doors for a quite different look.

This is one of the big advantages of the cars built by the small indepenents. Since they could not afford to make big changes every year, you have a lot more options for interchange.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 20:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

leaded53
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
All 51-54 front fenders fit if you move around the trim holes. Front doors exchange all 4-dr sedans 53-54, and rear doors are all the same 51-53 on the 127" wheelbase cars like yours. You can even install 54, 55, or 56 rear doors for a quite different look.

This is one of the big advantages of the cars built by the small indepenents. Since they could not afford to make big changes every year, you have a lot more options for interchange.

so what about quarter panels would 51's fit or are some different
i need to find some as mine are pretty bad

Posted on: 2010/7/18 16:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Answers that aren't apparent from the service manual and parts book can aften be found in supplemental factory publication, like the Service Counselor (SC) and Service technical (STB), and we are building a Packard Service Index, hotlinked to scans of those publications.

Take a look at the 1951-54 Service Index. In the Body section, you'll find articles with details on rear fender supersessions in SC Vol. 28, No. 6 and SC Vol. 28, No. 8, which should provide some insight as to interchange.

Also, look in the Fenders & Sheetmetal section, and you'll find similar articles for front fender supersessions in SC Vol. 27, No. 2 and SC Vol. 27, No. 8 and SC Vol. 28, No. 3.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The 300 or Cavalier tends to get overlooked between the more common Clippers and the prestige Patricians.

What you need to know is the Cavaliers and Patricians were "senior" cars and differed in quite a few respects to the "juniors".

They had heavier suspension, wheels, and rear axles. Different motors as well. The chassis was a longer wheelbase.

The bodies were different but all the difference was from the rear door back. The rear doors are alike except for the cutout at the bottom for the rear wheel. The Patrician and Cavalier have a smaller cutout due to the longer wheelbase.

The whole rear part of the body is different, the rear window, roofline, and rear fenders.

The trunk lid I am not sure about but I think they interchange.

Front doors, windshield, front fender basically the same as the juniors. Just the rear part of the body is different.

Once you know the difference it is easy to spot.

Beyond that there are detail differences in trim, trim holes etc.

The Cavalier is a classy car and deserves to be preserved.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 13:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved