Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Help a new Packard owner
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Thanks, Yes I bought it offf of ebay. The older gentleman that owns it is getting so he can't drive it anymore. I am very much looking forward to picking it up.

Thanks again, John H

Posted on: 2010/7/15 17:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mr. DeMille
See User information
I'm also an owner of a 1936 120b, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! Congrats on your new car.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 18:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi John H

Congratulations on becoming a Packard owner. Hope your drive back to New York is enjoyable and troublefree. Please heed all the good advice on checks and parts to carry before starting.

Any chance you could post your progress daily on here? We'd all like to follow your progress, stand by to help if the need should arise.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/7/15 18:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hey John,

Congrats and I say Go For It! I'm a veteran optimist... with experience. Sounds like you're using a good dose of common sense and if you watch for trouble, will probably catch it before it becomes BIG trouble.

I had a very similar adventure when I won an eBay auction for a '49 Nash, flew out to Atlanta, GA, and drove it back to the SF Bay Area, CA over 8 days. Awesome trip!

The Seller had great advice: bring some tools and allow plenty of time. I did just that and every time I stopped for food, gas, sight-seeing, etc... I took a few extra minutes to go around the car to make sure all was well.

Have a great time; I'm envious!

Posted on: 2010/7/15 22:00
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
I certainly will try to post daily during the trip. That will depend on the Hotel having wireless access or not. I appreciate everyones input and suggestions.

Thank you All,

Posted on: 2010/7/16 5:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
John H New York wrote: I certainly will try to post daily during the trip......
John,

That would be great, there'll be a lot of interested PackardInfo members here who'll also be "willing" your acquisition along on it's journey.

Have a great trip.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Congratulations on the new Packard! I've driven a 'just purchased' '74 Fiat Spider from Cincinnati to Cleveland without major incident (unless no windshield wipers in a rainstorm on the freeway counts as major), so you ought to be fine in a daily-driven Packard.

As for driving US 20, I'd make sure to plan an alternate to that route when traversing the Cleveland area. US 20 in and around Cleveland will take you through neighborhoods in which you REALLY don't want to break down (or need any type of assistance)! Find an alternate south of the city and enjoy sightseeing through our much safer suburbs.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing and seeing of your adventure.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 19:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gizmolannigan
See User information
As a firm believer (private ranter) in driving a car that was built to be driven I support you in your endeavor. As a child I grew up on great journeys in antique cars. Some of the best memories I have are from some of the "Adventures" (read break downs) we had in a restored car. Even if you encounter problems people are more willing to help a stranded antique than a modern. There was a article written By Peter Egan about driving a Model "A" Ford I believe across country. He had several break downs but found lots of support even parts along his journey. You all cannot tell me you haven't sat in your car and had some say " I had one just like this only..." that is the great thing about antique cars they draw memories and people or vise versa. I say go for it you'll never forget your adventure good or bad.

Just keep positive you'll laugh later guaranteed.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 22:19
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luke 14:28

Same for restoring cars too...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Hi to All

I can already tell one of the best things I have done is going this group. You folks have offered so much great advice and encouragement. I greatly appreciate it. I will keep everyone informed of my journey. I fly out and pick up the Packard on the 7th of August and will certainly keep you all informed.

Thanks again for all of your interest. I know I will need your help and advice ongoing because I am a newby Packard owner and will have lots of questions maintaining this piece of American Automotive Artwork.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2010/7/17 7:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi John, Welcome to Packard Info. I really look forward to reading your updates during your adventure driving your car home.

Best of luck on your trip!
Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/17 20:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved