Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 181

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Coil Resistance Specs.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ramon R.
See User information
Good Day All,

Can anyone give me the coil resistance spec for my 53 Patrician with a 327 straight 8. I lost spark and the car wont start and I'm trying to figure out my issue. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Ramon

Posted on: 2010/7/16 6:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Coil Resistance Specs.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have the answer to your question, but if you've already checked the obvious like ignition switch and power to the coil, I suggest it might be easier to just replace the coil. The NAPA/Echlin # for Delco is IC-9, IC-7 if you happen to have the AutoLite System. The Standard # for either is UC-14X. From what I've heard electrical tests on coils are not particularly reliable predictors of coil condition, except of course for simple continuity tests.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 8:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to O_D's suggestion, if you have not already done so remove the wire coming from coil at distributor and touch against the block. If there is a spark then look carefully at the black fabric covered flex wire inside distributor between points and outer terminal. Some incidents lately of the fabric disintegrating in places allowing the wire to short.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I agree with HH56. If the primary lead wire from coil to the distributor is original the insulation is probably frayed in several places causing a short. I had that happen last month. Easy enough to replace with some 14-16 gauge wire and a good crimping tool.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ordinary copper wire of proper size will work for a while, but the original internal distributor leads are a special alloy to tolerate the continued flexing. I'd advise getting a proper one because we know that ordinary copper "work hardens" as it flexes or moves, and the constant motion of the breaker plate will sooner or later cause the lead made from ordinary wire to fail. Get a proper lead, or measure and advise of the end terminals and let me know what you need, I almost certainly have one. Just supplied one to friend Randy Berger a week ago or so.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Interestin O-D. I tried to find originals at my local "parts" stores (NAPA, Autozone, etc) to no avail. That's why I made one. Where did you source yours?

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Flea market purchase at Rhinebeck, NY. The guy had literally thousands in a shoe box, I just bought a fistful, think it was $5. I've also seen them by the thousands at Hershey - don't pass up good flea markets!

Places like Brillman or Restoration Supply might also have them though I don't recall seeing them listed last time I looked. Kind of a specialized item, I'm not surprised that NAPA or similar didn't have them. If you have any truly OLD TIME auto electric shops in your area, you might try them. Also perhaps contacting one of the shops that rebuild distributors. But if you have time, after I get back from the National at Gettysburg I'm sure I can find one for you.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Thanks. Maybe I will see you in Gettysburg. I will be arriving Monday morning with family in tow

Posted on: 2010/7/16 16:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good! Hope we get to meet. I'll have one of 2 56 Caribbeans in white/blue/copper with NJ plates - I should be easy to spot, short, overweight, but with a decent head of (gray) hair. Come to think of it, that sounds like many Packard owners! Another clue - my Caribbean has incorrect paint color on the wheels.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:.......my Caribbean has incorrect paint color on the wheels.
Dave, How could you?

Posted on: 2010/7/16 18:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved