Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 146

Packard Don, Ross, JD in KC, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Coupe Front Windshield Weatherstrip - Who's Right!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I'm about to order a front windshield weatherstrip for my '51 Coupe . . . .

According to the Steele Rubber catalogue, there is a different Part Number for a 1951 Coupe (2465 or 2495) compared to a 4-door sedan.

Steele's catalogue states 435178 is the Weatherstrip p/no for the Coupe, and 435754 for the 4-door sedan.

However Packard Parts and Accessories List (1948-54) states 435754 for Coupes 2465 and 2495.

Can anyone tell me why Steele differentiates between Coupe and 4-door models? Is 435178 correct for Coupe, as they suggest?

IF there is a difference, then it seems the Packard Parts Listing (which says 435754 is OK for Coupes 2465 and 2495) must be incorrect?!

My email to Steelerubber days ago hasn't been answered by them, which is a bit sad . . . Me living in The Antipodes (bottom half of the planet earth!) means that if I make a mistake and order the wrong bit, it will take weeks to send it back and get another - And you can guess who will pay the freight cost!

Can someone please help me with this?

Posted on: 2010/7/20 4:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Coupe Front Windshield Weatherstrip - Who's Right!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Well . . . . I got a bit 'in-depth' and technical with the last post, quoting part numbers etc (tch tch!).

So, apologies for that!

What I REALLY meant is: can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 1951 Coupe windscreen weatherstrip, and a 1951 4-door sedan windscreen weatherstrip?

Because I bought my car in pieces, sans windscreen and weatherstrip, I can't have a quick look to see what the differences might be. Seems unlikely there would be a difference, but who knows . . .

Posted on: 2010/7/22 7:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There may be others and hope someone else chimes in, but believe the major difference is in the top corners of the windshield. Unfortunately there are no pictures of the coupes in the 51 model database but 51-52 sedans had rounded corners. Coupe/convertibles had squared. Here are a couple of shots of comparable 52 models.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.20 KB)
209_4c484052cb162.jpg 480X164 px

jpg  (12.44 KB)
209_4c48405b9bde4.jpg 480X191 px

Posted on: 2010/7/22 8:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As far as coupes go, I think it was only the 2467 Mayfair (aka 250) in 1951 that had the squared corners on the windshield. Not my area of expertise, but based on pictures here I think that's correct.

Edit: I just looked at the Steele site and I think you may have misread the information.
"Vulcanized windshield channel. Replaces #435754. Includes locking strip. All models (exc. conv't & 2 dr. HT)."
"2 dr. HT" = 2 door Hardtop, i.e., Mayfair, 250, body 2467.
In other words, this is the channel for all 1951 Packards except the convertible and Mayfair (because of the square corner configuration).

Posted on: 2010/7/22 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks to both you fellas, I reckon you've solved my problem . . . .

I've fallen victim to the different naming for Packard configurations. I mistakenly thought a '2-Door Hardtop' was the same as my 'Coupe', but seems it is not.

Mine is a '2465 - 200 Deluxe Club Sedan', (and of course it's a Coupe).But a 'Hardtop' it is not. Downright confusing.

A check of my Parts Listing confirms what you're saying. 2467 (300 Sedan), 2577 (250 Sports Coupe) and 2469(250 Convertible Coupe) share the same weatherstrip part number and have the square screen. My 2465 Club Sedan has the rounded windscreen opening.

Further to that the SteeleRubber Catalogue online does show both a rounded and a square weatherstrip, and I had wondered about that, but the penny didn't drop!! Really appreciate your help. Now all you have to do is come to Australia and I'll buy you both a beer!

Posted on: 2010/7/23 7:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The usually different between a hardtop and coupe designation is the B-pillar...or lack there of. Hardtops have no b-pillars (like a convertible, which they are based on). Coupes usually do as a "general" rule.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 12:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks for your further info BigKev . . . the naming 'tricks of the trade' are proving to be very helpful when trying to order stuff. I've seen reference to 'Post' models and realized it's another way of defining between Hardtops / Convertibles and Sedans / some Coupes. All fitting together for me now.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved