Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Hot Engine Won't Start
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
Something else that will slow down a starter is an overly advanced ignition system.

There is a reason that you have an initial setting, a vacuum advance that comes in immediately, and a mechanical system that works as the engine revs up to a speed that more matches the speed of the burning gas.

So if either advance system is stuck (or the initial is too much) the easy to fire warm fuel mixture is burning and pushing against the pistons as they come up instead of waiting until they are near TDC and slowing down the starter.

An easy way to check this is when it's hot and turning slowly, pull the coil wire off the distributor and see if it cranks at normal speed.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 10:15
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
An easy way to check this is when it's hot and turning slowly, pull the coil wire off the distributor and see if it cranks at normal speed.

That's a very good thought. It never occurred to me to test for timing that is too far advanced in that way. Good one!

Posted on: 2011/12/31 12:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bl1308
See User information
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to speak to my mechanics about each of these diagnostics. I'll post the results and hopefully, the fix.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
bl, you say the starter turns over slowly when hot. I presume that means more slowly than when cold. If its both slow and kind of herky-jerky, that's a classic symptom of advanced ignition timing. So if that's the symptom, though other causes are certainly possible, it's the one I'd check first and it's also about the easiest fix - just slap a timing light on and see where the timing is.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Ramon

Ground! Good, heavy, grounds! Good, clean, tight bare metal-to metal grounds! Frequently when your problem arises in an old car, turns out the ground cable has been replaced with a new one of inadequate gauge to do the job.

It's the inexpensive fix to try first before you move onto more costly ones. I've seen it take care of the problem multiple times. Hope this is the cure!

Steve

Posted on: 2012/1/1 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi I have a 52 with hot start problems too ,Ive got correct cables ,Have a new 6v battery ,checked the timing ,put a heat shield around the carb and fuel line,rebuilt starter ,

I know the battery isnt enouh cch ,cuz one cant get the specified 1100 cch battery unless you go to a group 3 which would require alteration of the battery holder (im planning this)
Am interested in your high torque coil replacement for the starter ,do you have starters rebuilt on hand with this mod or do you take them in rebuild them and return?

Posted on: 2012/1/10 14:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Steve,
I'm assuming you are directing your post to me on the high torque coils. Sorry, but I do not carry starters in stock ready to go with the high torque coils installed. I would need you to send yours in for repair. Feel free to contact me with any otherquestions or concerns. I sometimes don't get back to this forum very often, so you can email me directly @ jason@aerrebuild.com
Thanks,
Jason,
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
after replacing the cables for the right gage,replacing the the battery ,rebuilding the starter ,generator ,shielding the carband fuel lines ,shielding the gas tank from the exhaust pipe,adjusting the timing to 6 degrees btdc , and still having hot start problems...
I had a treat today, and after using some new upgraded spark plug and coil wires (accel street avenger)wow I picked up 2 cylinders and have a nice brisk start !

Posted on: 2012/1/11 23:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good to hear of a success! Keep at it.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 23:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved