Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

West Peterson, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: anybody ever seen one of these?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The venetian blind was supposed to fit in with the slats horizontal. The driver should be able to see out the rear view mirror and passengers look out the window.

Evidently the purpose of the blind was to protect the back of the rear seat passenger's necks from sunburn and keep the sun off the rear seat so the cloth did not fade.

I thought they were a short lived thing that came out when rear windows got big in the early 50s but went out of fashion with tinted glass and air conditioning a few years later.

If the angle is not horizontal perhaps the blind was made for a different car with the rear window at a different angle.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 16:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Here in Oz rear window venetian blinds were a reasonably common accessory in the 50's.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.13 KB)
226_4c4a121c84f21.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/7/23 17:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Yep - and venetian blinds 'lingered on' into the 60's here in Oz. I can remember them being an optional extra on Holden cars like the 1964 EH, and you could find them (occasionally) right up until the HK / HT / HG model Holdens (early 70's) as I recollect.

Then those externally mounted racy-looking plastic louvres emerged and many cars had those, including a couple of mine. Importantly, they were great to keep the sun off and they cooled the car considerably as well. And as a sideline they gave a little more privacy to the young blokes 'smooching' at the Drive-In theatres!

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
In the 1949 Dealer Accessories Price Book there is a listing for ventshade. Not sure if it is the same thing.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 9:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The venetian blinds were also seen in the Southwest although not to any great extent as I recall. Western Auto was an outlet for them and suppose the gas stations could have carried them as well.

One popular option in our area was a sun screen either on a frame that you could get to slide into the lower window opening or roll up like a pull shade. It did the job well yet was removable. Was a small PIA because the frame type did have to be removed when you went to the drive in after school and the car hop tray couldn't be accessed with it in place. Was a screen mesh material with small slits you could see thru but the angle and size prevented the sun from directly shining in. Many commercial buildings use almost the exact same stuff today.

Think the vent shade mentioned in Packard lit was a piece that fit in the top of the window channel and shaded the window sort of like the windshield visor. Believe they also had a tinted celluloid type thing that attached to the regular inside fold down visors to extend them.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 10:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe that is the rain deflector over the vent window.

Posted on: 2010/7/25 10:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved