Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

DM37, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Mayfair brake drums
Just popping in
Just popping in

jimbo
See User information
Just purchased 1953 Mayfair and having it safetied, a government requirement in Canada. The shop cannot remove the rear brake drums to get the measurements required. Is there a secret to pulling the rear hubs?

Posted on: 2010/7/30 8:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Mayfair brake drums
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll need a hub puller, same type as used for Chrysler products of the same vintage. If you use the search feature, you'll find quite a few posts requesting the same information, along with complete instructions and pictures of appropriate hub pullers.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
jimbo, are the inspectors trying to measure the thickness of the brake drums? Could they do this using the slots in the brake drums used for the major brake adjustment? They could also measure the thickness of the brake linings through these slots. Just a suggestion.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/30 10:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jimbo
See User information
thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 10:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Jimbo:

The reason for the special puller, that Owen describes. The axles are tapered, where they go into the drum. You need a good, heavy duty puller, to do the job. The drums usually come off with a bang.

Stay away from the cheap $50.00 one you see on the internet. mine cost $150.00 last year and I had to order it. Sometimes you see them used on Ebay.

If they accept JW's tip it might save you some grief. But if you intend to keep that car, sooner or later you will need that puller.

Good luck

Posted on: 2010/7/31 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I rented a heavy duty hub puller from an old time equipment rental store.

Posted on: 2010/7/31 19:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved