Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 191

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

any ideas....
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
My 1948 Custom eight is getting a new wiring harness. When I got the the junction block for the headlights and such I realized that I was going to need to order and new one. That arrived in a couple of days. So I continued the install of the harness. Yesterday I started to take the block off the drivers side fender and one nut came off nicely and the other one is turning but It is the bolt that is rotating I tried to feel the back side to see where it goes and I haven't got a clue how I going to get this off and then to install another one. Any ideas guys?

Posted on: 2010/8/9 7:38
 Top  Print   

Re: any ideas....
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can use a nut splitter to break off the nut. Then with the block removed you can see what is going on.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 10:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Or grind or cut it off with a Dremel.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Is your problem because you cannot find the nut on the other side of the engine compartment from the junction block; or, you don't know how to grasp the nut so you can loosen the screw? The two previous posts address how to deal with the nut once you find it. These little but highly frustrating problems are what we deal with all the time on seemingly simple jobs. It just ain't fair.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/9 15:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The worst one I had was on the bolt that secures the fuel line back near the gas tank. This is were the fuel line is bolted to the bracket that also supports the brake line. I was using two gear wrenches (one of the nut and the other on the bolt head), and after about 30 seconds of turning I looked back under there and realized that the nut was simply spinning on the bolt shaft as the threads were rusted off. So I just ended up cutting off the bolt with a cut-off wheel mounted on a die-grinder. Life's to short to deal with rusted fasteners.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 16:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Thanks guys. Before I got back to this I just cut the bolt off and kept the project moving forward. Though my friends think of me as ok with old cars. I still have things I just don't like to do... SO I ask questions before I really get myself into trouble. IE I was going to take the fender. YIKES what was I thinking. Anyway thanks for all your help in advice you have given my over the years.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Memory says you can remove the headlight bucket and reach it from that access.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 15:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Packard generally used very high quality hardware and I'm loath to throw it away unless it is junk. Also, the finish on most modern hardware just isn't as good as original Packard.

When I'm dealing with a rusty relic for the first time I spray every thing with penetrating oil and let it sit for a week before starting in.

Packard cars usually come apart much easier than other brands because of the good quality fasteners.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 17:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
I've noticed that as well. I've been amazed at the quality of fasteners on my 48 8. I've played with cars built in the 90's and had less luck reusing fasteners. When working on a packard you can feel the quality even after 6o years of rust.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 8:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
You might wish to try a RotoZip - it's like a Dremel on steroids... I wouldn't want to be without mine...

Posted on: 2010/8/19 14:37
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved